glasses on toddler make her eyes look crossed

Caroline

Jan 11, 2012, 11:06:45 PM1/11/12
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
Hi Everyone,

My daughter has been in contacts or glasses her entire life. She is
aphakic with no problems, but they are now putting her in bifocals.
She seems to have adjusted to them well, they are definitely a change
for her, she talks about big and small and laughs while "playing" with
her vision. She can now to most things seamlessly, where she stuttered
a bit when she first got them.

However, I've noticed that when I look at her straight on, both of her
eyes look turned in. This is when looking through the lenses above the
bifocal section. These classes are no thicker than her old ones, which
were something like +25. Neither pair of older glasses did this. They
magnified her eyes of course, but didn't make them seem turned in. I
can see little sign of this when I take them off of her, though it's
hard to tell, as she's close to me and her eyes naturally come
together when she's looking close.

So, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the glasses. I've
moved and the new optician is not as experienced with children. Could
the pupillary distance be off, and if so, would that affect things? Or
are her eyes starting to turn inward and these glasses just magnify
the effect? If it's the glasses, could this affect her vision? I don't
want the glasses "training" her eyes to be crossed! Obviously, I want
her to look as normal as possible, she get's enough stares and
comments without an "optical illusion" of crossed eyes.