Numeric Keypad as a GKOS USB Keyboard:

peekay

Jun 30, 2009, 1:50:19 PM6/30/09
to GKOS
hello seppo

on gkos.net there is a link with this description :

Numeric Keypad as a GKOS USB Keyboard:
[ --> ]
How to modify the numpad for 6 simultanoeus key presses.

this leads to the webpage with gkosw.exe and gkosw.ini files

i need the source code of these files to study

would it be ok to put the code in zip format on the 'files' section
here ?

if not, it could be attached to an email to me

peekay

seppo

Jul 27, 2009, 9:00:34 AM7/27/09
to GKOS
peekay,

This was my answer to you a year ago to a similar question:

"24.06.2008 15:48, Seppo: The GPL'd source is here. Just replace the
hyphens with dots. kaiku-homeip-net/www2/gkos/gkosw_066.zip"

And then you downloaded it :)

Click 'Input' in the menu and you will find the NumPad options.

regards
Seppo
(back from summer vacation)

pks kolkata

Jul 27, 2009, 9:25:22 AM7/27/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com
yep .. i remembered that .. and so requested you

i have lost ALL my old stuff ..
the hard disk of my tablet went dead ..
then its motherboard went dead

(the motherboard has been replaced by a new one
 the hard disk 80gb has been replaced by a new120gb)

thanks for the link

2009/7/27 seppo <seppo....@gmail.com>

--
[  GovtOf India(CDAC) के debianLinux based मुफ्त और मुक्त BharatOSS  मे Firefox द्वारा खुले gMail में   अ आ हिन्दी keyboard से टंकित  ]

pks kolkata

Jul 27, 2009, 11:08:14 AM7/27/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com
downloaded .. studied ..

conclusion :

1. gkosw.exe is designed for use with only 6 keys
2. editing gkosw.ini .. the bottom 7 lines also works only 6 keys

with the present programs can i get combos like these :

ty=ka क
tu=kha ख
ti=ga ग
to=gha घ
tp=nga ङ

ry=cha च
ru=chha छ
ri=ja ज
ro=jha झ
rp=yna ञ

and so on ??

or will new coding have to be done ?

..peekay

seppo

Jul 29, 2009, 3:42:01 AM7/29/09
to GKOS
Unfortunately, some tweaking of the code is needed because shortcut
lists exist only for such 2-character Chordons that include at least
one special character ' - . , ! ? Shift Up/DownArrow Space or
Backspace. This is how word shortcuts in gkos work. A Chordon like [T]
>[Y] is ommitted in the check and interpreted as a Chordon way of
typing ty.

If you use ! instead of t, you can just edit the table to output 'ka'.
In addition, coding for the sign must be considered (UTF-8, Unicode
etc things). That might be tricky...

seppo

On Jul 27, 6:08 pm, pks kolkata <pksharmakolk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> downloaded .. studied ..
> conclusion :
>
> 1. gkosw.exe is designed for use with only 6 keys
> 2. editing gkosw.ini .. the bottom 7 lines also works only 6 keys
>
> with the present programs can i get combos like these :
>
> ty=ka क
> tu=kha ख
> ti=ga ग
> to=gha घ
> tp=nga ङ
>
> ry=cha च
> ru=chha छ
> ri=ja ज
> ro=jha झ
> rp=yna ञ
>
> and so on ??
>
> or will new coding have to be done ?
>
> ..peekay

pks kolkata

Jul 29, 2009, 5:27:19 AM7/29/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com

2009/7/29 seppo <seppo....@gmail.com>

Unfortunately, some tweaking of the code is needed because shortcut
lists exist only for such 2-character Chordons that include at least
one special character

hmm .. special characters can be combined with other keys to give
desired characters by altering 'tables' .. within which files are these
tables included ?

' - . , ! ? Shift Up/DownArrow Space or Backspace.

clearing my understanding .. these 'special' keys are :

apostrophe
hyphen
period
comma
exclamation
interrogation
shift
up arrow
down arrow
space
backspace

what about -

left arrow
right arrow
home
end
pgUp
pgDn
slash
star
plus

meantime i'll experiment a bit on my own after i return
from the post-cardiosurgery check up today evening

thanks for the help

..peekay

seppo

Aug 3, 2009, 5:31:57 AM8/3/09
to GKOS
Your firs list is correct. The 'what about' list characters are not
included in the shortcuts. They have been reserved for other (future)
uses and most of them include more simultaneous key making them more
difficult to use in a Chordon.

seppo

On Jul 29, 12:27 pm, pks kolkata <pksharmakolk...@gmail.com> wrote:

seppo

Aug 3, 2009, 6:38:40 AM8/3/09
to GKOS
There are some examples of using the 'what about' list characters in
the draft gkos spec:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/gkos/gkoscom/gkos_spec.zip

seppo

seppo

Aug 3, 2009, 11:14:43 AM8/3/09
to GKOS
Sorry, wrong document. Here's what I meant:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/gkos/gkoscom/gkos_manual_v003.pdf

seppo

pks kolkata

Aug 3, 2009, 12:03:21 PM8/3/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com
where can i find the dictionary for short-cuts ?
(which key combo gets what word ?)

seppo

Aug 4, 2009, 2:41:56 AM8/4/09
to GKOS
Peekay,

Towards the end of gkosw.cpp there is a large amount of tables with
words that are default values for the shortcuts. They can however be
modified without editing the code itself by just renaming data file
gkos-shortcuts.dat (created when gkosw.exe is run for the first time)
to gkos-shortcuts.usr and editing the content of that which consists
of the shortcut words.

If you want to edit the Chordons that trigger the shortcut words, you
will have to edit C++ code and re-compile it. The Chordons are defined
in C++ function gSendShortcut() and some other places near that
routine.

seppo

On Aug 3, 7:03 pm, pks kolkata <pksharmakolk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> where can i find the dictionary for short-cuts ?(which key combo gets what
> word ?)

pks kolkata

Aug 4, 2009, 11:44:09 AM8/4/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com
Towards the end of gkosw.cpp there is a large amount of tables with
words that are default values for the shortcuts.

i think the start is :

// ==========================================================
//                  Selecting Shortcut Strings
//                   and creating the tables
// ==========================================================
//
// =================FIRST CHARACTER is Special===============
void gSendSC_Period()
{    sc1 = 0;
switch (ChordonByte[2])

and the end is :

  default:       gSendRest(); break;
    }
}
// 781 chordon shortcuts total !!!

hmmm....

They can however be
modified without editing the code itself by just renaming data file
gkos-shortcuts.dat (created when gkosw.exe is run for the first time)
to gkos-shortcuts.usr and editing the content of that which consists
of the shortcut words.

when the gkosw_066.zip file is unzipped it created a gkos-shortcuts.usr file

do i have to edit the .dat file and then copy/rename that to a .usr file ?

If you want to edit the Chordons that trigger the shortcut words, you
will have to edit C++ code and re-compile it. The Chordons are defined
in C++ function gSendShortcut() and some other places near that
routine.

hmm .. this is a C++ code .. these steps should not be difficult .. altering
the key sequences to other key combos and maybe even more keys (10 ?)
could be done .. but that would need detailed work, coding, collaborating
with you and a good C++ programmer at my end

which C++ was used ? since that would be the best to compile the code too

i am strongly inclined to NOT get into deep coding-debugging-recoding
particularly after my doctor's strict advice to not 'strain' while working
on computer .. meaning totally avoiding looooong hours at single stretches

so i will try to explore the special key combos to get hindi characters
in groups .. by altering the .usr file

the effort will be to match one kind of 'pattern' of short-cut key-combos
with another kind of groups-of-hindi-characters .. can be done :-)

thanks for working in tandem

highly appreciated !!

..peekay

seppo

Aug 5, 2009, 8:52:20 AM8/5/09
to GKOS
my comments below marked with ****

**** right as far as I remember

> > They can however be
> > modified without editing the code itself by just renaming data file
> > gkos-shortcuts.dat (created when gkosw.exe is run for the first time)
> > to gkos-shortcuts.usr and editing the content of that which consists
> > of the shortcut words.
>
> when the gkosw_066.zip file is unzipped it created a gkos-shortcuts.usr file
>
> do i have to edit the .dat file and then copy/rename that to a .usr file ?

*** you can just edit the words in gkos-shortcuts.usr if the file was
zipped in already. the chordons at the beginning of each line are only
references for the human reader and have no impact on operation itself

> > If you want to edit the Chordons that trigger the shortcut words, you
> > will have to edit C++ code and re-compile it. The Chordons are defined
> > in C++ function gSendShortcut() and some other places near that
> > routine.
>
> hmm .. this is a C++ code .. these steps should not be difficult .. altering
> the key sequences to other key combos and maybe even more keys (10 ?)
> could be done .. but that would need detailed work, coding, collaborating
> with you and a good C++ programmer at my end
>
> which C++ was used ? since that would be the best to compile the code too

**** I used Dev-C++ version 4.9.9.2 which is still available at
http://www.bloodshed.net/

**** in case you try some other compiler, you are sure to get error
reports during compilation of my code!

> i am strongly inclined to NOT get into deep coding-debugging-recoding
> particularly after my doctor's strict advice to not 'strain' while working
> on computer .. meaning totally avoiding looooong hours at single stretches
>
> so i will try to explore the special key combos to get hindi characters
> in groups .. by altering the .usr file

*** editing the words only, not the 2-character shortcuts, will have
an impact on output

pks kolkata

Aug 5, 2009, 1:35:42 PM8/5/09
to gk...@googlegroups.com