Project status?

Mysha

Dec 13, 2010, 4:52:50 PM12/13/10
to Giver Project
Hi,

OK, I've asked Google Groups to throw out most of the spam that
filled the message list web page, presumably with the spam members.
Now, will some real group member tell me what's the status of the
Giver project is?

Jared J

Dec 13, 2010, 11:15:26 PM12/13/10
to Giver Project
I was hoping that the project was still active. I had found some
interest in the project and made some code enhancements.

Padhu

Dec 16, 2010, 12:33:16 AM12/16/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
Project is dead. Developers are moved to other one :-(

Jared Jennings

Dec 16, 2010, 9:01:55 AM12/16/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
I know that there are a lot of other applications that do similar things, but it was fun to hack on. I wonder if some of us could get project code access to submit and review code. Not that the project needs to be kept alive, but it might be nice.
-Jared

பத்மநாதன்

Dec 17, 2010, 12:11:24 AM12/17/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
Jared,

> I know that there are a lot of other applications that do similar things, but it was fun to hack on.

True   :-)

>  I wonder if some of us could get project code access to submit and review code. Not that the project needs to be kept alive, but it might be nice.

Nice thought, But administrator should watch out these  ^^^^^^^.

--

Padhu,
Pollachi.

Knowledge is power !

"Be an Energy (Opti)mizer - Use Electricity Wiser"

boyd

Dec 17, 2010, 12:44:13 AM12/17/10
to Giver Project
Jared,

This is an open source project, so if you show initiative and want to
move the project forward, I'm sure that one of the maintainers of the
project would let you in to help after you show some progress. I
don't personally have time to dedicate to the project, but perhaps
some of the other devs would.

Best of luck,

-Boyd

Mysha

Dec 17, 2010, 10:56:26 AM12/17/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

பத௠மநாதன௠<indianath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jared,

>>> I know that there are a lot of other applications that do similar
>>> things, but it was fun to hack on.

>> True � :-)

OK, I'll accept that other applications do similar stuff. But is there a
program that provides the main functionality of Giver: An automagical
system to locally swap files? And if so, does it exist for both Linux
and Windows?

>>> � I wonder if some of us could get project code access to submit

>>> and review code. Not that the project needs to be kept alive, but
>>> it might be nice.

>> Nice thought, But administrator should watch out these � ^^^^^^^.

Erm, Padhu: I'm not sure what you're saying the administrator(s) should
watch out for. Was this something that holds for every project, or
something specific for Giver.

> This is an open source project, so if you show initiative and want to
> move the project forward, I'm sure that one of the maintainers of the
> project would let you in to help after you show some progress. I
> don't personally have time to dedicate to the project, but perhaps
> some of the other devs would.

Well, there may be a chicken and egg problem here: If no-one is active,
how will Jared and Padhu show their progress?
I myself am in a somewhat different position: I'm more generally trying
to determine whether we should put effort into the project, or not.

If there really is an application that can be made to do the same thing,
and is stable, then I guess the best course would be to end the project
with the advice to the user base to move to that other application.

But if Giver does something other applications don't, then I'd like to
continue to clean away the uncertainty, so we can get the project back
to a clear status, which hopefully will be that of program under
continued development.
I started with reporting all SPAM the mailing list had received to
GGroups, so the archive is more or less readable now. The next to look
at in that case probably ought to be the status of each issue on the
Issues list, and after that in more detail the status of Giver for Windows.

But it all hinges on that one question:
Is there something worth saving Giver for, or is the project just for
Auld Lang Syne?

BFN
--
Mysha

Jared Jennings

Dec 17, 2010, 11:08:41 AM12/17/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. I had posted a bugfix a while back and Sandy never looked at. (That I remember). I believe my fix was posted to the issue, so someone could download that manually, but it never made it to a trunk or branch or such.

-Jared

Will Smith

Dec 17, 2010, 11:19:15 AM12/17/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I am missing something, but if you want to continue working on the project and can't get administrator access can't you just fork the project? Take their source code, come up with a name, say it is a fork of giver, move on.

Will--

Jared Jennings

Dec 17, 2010, 11:52:56 AM12/17/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
I guess so, but that seems a little rash for a project this small :)

-Jared

Jared Jennings

Dec 26, 2010, 12:21:05 AM12/26/10
to giver...@googlegroups.com
So what's the fork name going to be? <G> f-share?

-Jared

Aaron Ash

Feb 28, 2013, 7:08:32 AM2/28/13
to giver...@googlegroups.com
Did this project ever get forked and carried on?
I've managed to get it to compile on windows and will attempt osx next.  I'd like to set up a web page somewhere with some easy installers for windows and osx and try to get the word out a bit.  Having used AirDrop between two macs I'm just saddened by the fact that no other OS's have the same functionality.
Android and iOS clients would be nice to have at some point too if anyone else is still interested in helping out.

Aqeel Zafar

Feb 28, 2013, 7:32:46 AM2/28/13
to giver...@googlegroups.com
I don't think there was ever a fork, though there are couple of other project that seem to do similar things. You can try dukto - http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11 , I have just found about it, and it looks pretty good (and it also has iOS and Android ports).

Try it out and let us know here how it is.

Jared L Jennings

Feb 28, 2013, 8:18:47 AM2/28/13
to giver...@googlegroups.com
I never forked it. I was think the other day that it would be nice if Give used the Airdrop technology that is on OSX. This could potential resolve some of the issues that Giver had.

None the less I have no time for this. Tomboy keep me too busy.

Jared Jennings

Aaron Ash

Feb 28, 2013, 7:42:54 PM2/28/13
to giver...@googlegroups.com
Wow just tried out Dukto and I'm very impressed :D.
Cheers for that.
Maybe I'll ask that developer if he has plans to add ad-hoc wifi support and see if he needs a hand.