commit not working?

John Weiss

Aug 1, 2016, 5:53:47 PM8/1/16
to gi...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Noob seeks help.

On Mac:
With command-line:
i created a .git file, and uploaded a file to remote GitLab repo.
I can see the file listed in my GitLab Projects.
Now i want to add a directory full of files to the repo.
I placed the directory inside the folder that contains my previously-added file.
i attempted various "git add", "git commit" commands on command-line, but not sure which is correct.
i do not see the new directory in my remote gitlab project.

in GitX:
I added my remote repo, and it appears to be added correctly.
I added the new files to "unstaged changes", then dragged them into "Staged changes"
then clicked Commit button.
I don't see the files added to my remote GitLab repo.

What am i missing?

thx
John

Etienne Samson

Aug 3, 2016, 9:12:17 AM8/3/16
to gi...@googlegroups.com
Hi !
You need to push your changes to the remote, right now they only exist in your local repository.

In GitX that's the 4th "cloud" icon at the bottom, from the command line it's `git push $remotename`, usually you can say `git push -u $remotename`, that makes git remember that you want the current branch to be pushed by default to $remotename (when you have more than one remote).

Regards,
Etienne Samson
--
samson....@gmail.com