404 when I try to open git repositories

Biekei Ojo

Jul 18, 2014, 7:21:54 AM7/18/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

I recently installed gitlist on an nginx setup. I configured it as said on the github page. The index shows the list of projects but anytime I click on any of the project it gives me a 404. Please how do I resolve this.

Will Hopper

Jul 24, 2014, 1:56:07 PM7/24/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
Same issue! Just installed on apache, and all the projects are listed appropriately, but trying to examine he code gives "404, requested URL not found..."

Do I need to set up directories/ aliased locations for each project in my virtual host?

Will Hopper

Jul 24, 2014, 2:08:44 PM7/24/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
ah, solved it (partially at least). I had AllowOverride None in my virtual host, which blocked the .htaccess file shipped with gitlist. set it to AllowOverride All and now I can see the project files.

However, one of the project's says 'fatal, not a git repo'. But it certainly is, cloning works fine over ssh.

what should I check?

rantanplan178

Nov 20, 2015, 12:43:30 AM11/20/15
to GitList
NGINX does't have 'AllowOverride'!

Does GITLIST work with NGINX?

As I have the same problem as the OP. Is there any way around it to get it to work with NGINX?

rantanplan178

Nov 20, 2015, 1:06:11 AM11/20/15
to GitList
This is my nginx config
     location /gitlist {
                try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$uri&$args;
                index index.php index.html;
        }

I guess I need some sort of a rewrite rule. I could need a hint here.

rantanplan178

Nov 20, 2015, 1:44:12 AM11/20/15
to GitList
Alright, I solved it.

Everybody having the same issue. Calm down. Relax. Have a look into INSTALL.md
That file serves a decent nginx configuration.

@klaussilveira
Could you mention this file in your repo readme file? I've seen a lot of similar requests in this mailing list.
I guess it could save some time for some people like me who are so dumb not to look into all .txt files in the installation directory. ;)

Awesome work on your frontend so far. Keep it up!