Toctree for gitit?

freiric barral

Oct 6, 2016, 7:35:09 PM10/6/16
to gitit-discuss

Hi,

I don’t use gitit as my technical documentation system. Instead I use sphinx, a python ‘restructured text’ documentation system (for example used by readthedocs.org ). I find gitit superior in several ways, as it is a wiki and stores its data in a revision system (and it uses pandoc and it is written in haskell). Nevertheless I do not use it as a technical documentation system. I tried, but then abandonned it. I think the feature I lack the most is the possibility to see some overview of the whole documentation.

In sphinx, the document is a tree (section, subsection...), possibly on several files, and they have a directive ‘toctree’ which inserts a table of contents extending to an arbitrary depth.

In contrast, in gitit, the toc is always limited to the current file which restricts the view of the wiki to the one page you are currently consulting.

I do think that implementing a table of contents to an arbitrary depth spanning several files would be technically possible (though it is not trivial and may require minor changes in pandoc).

What do you think about this idea?

Regards,

Freiric.

Henning Thielemann

Oct 7, 2016, 2:35:28 AM10/7/16
to gitit-discuss

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, freiric barral wrote:

> What do you think about this idea?

Gitit formats a directory as a list of files. Not quite a TOC, but close
to.