[ANNOUNCE] git-flow AVH Edition 1.7.0

Peter van der Does

Nov 16, 2013, 7:29:22 PM11/16/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
We are pleased to announce the release of git-flow AVH Edition 1.7.0

git-flow AVH Edition is a collection of git extensions to provide
high-level repository operations for Vincent Driessen's branching
model.
The AVH Edition adds more functionality to the original git-flow[1] and
several of the internal commands have been rewritten to speed up the
software.

The release tar-ball and zip file can be found at:

    https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow/releases

git-flow AVH Edition is compatible with the following systems:
    Linux
    BSD
    Mac OS X
    Windows

Installation instructions for these systems can be found at:

    https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow/wiki#installing-git-flow

git-flow AVH Edition 1.7.0 Release Notes
* Refactor the gitflow override flag functions.

* Shortcut for finish, delete, and publish commands.
  Introduce the following new commands:
  * git flow finish
  * git flow delete
  * git flow publish

  These commands will perform the action on the branch that's currently
  active.

* No branch is needed for the following function:
  * git flow feature publish/finish/delete
  * git flow release publish/finish/delete
  * git flow hotfix publish/finish/delete

* Remove base configuration when deleting a feature/hotfix/release
  branch.

* Help text for certain commands is wrong.

* Bugfix: Invalid function call.

* Bugfix: No make installer fails

* Support branches are no longer marked as experimental.

* Fix sanity check for release track command.

* Fix feature pull.
  The pull request fails when there's no local branch with the same
  name as the remote branch.

* Option for global hooks and filters directory.
  This is only for hooks and filters related to git-flow, not the
  standard git hooks.

--------------------------------------
Footnotes:
[1] The original set of extensions have not been updated since 2012 and
    the last release was done in 2010

HaveF

Nov 16, 2013, 8:10:49 PM11/16/13
to gitflow-googlegroup
Hi, peter,

Thanks for your work!
Btw, I saw you discussion about git-flow-clone here [1]. Do you have any plan
to add this sub command in the future?

Cheers,
HaveF

Sincerely,

HaveF

Peter van der Does

Nov 16, 2013, 8:22:52 PM11/16/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
I didn't have the plan, but I see the original git-flow-clone has not been updated in a year, so I guess a new command clone could be helpful.

I created an issue (https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow/issues/130) if you want to weigh in on the implementation.

Mateusz Loskot

Nov 17, 2013, 7:00:32 AM11/17/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
On 17 November 2013 00:29, Peter van der Does <pvand...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the release of git-flow AVH Edition 1.7.0
>
> git-flow AVH Edition is a collection of git extensions to provide
> high-level repository operations for Vincent Driessen's branching
> model.
> The AVH Edition adds more functionality to the original git-flow[1] and
> several of the internal commands have been rewritten to speed up the
> software.
>
> The release tar-ball and zip file can be found at:
>
> https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow/releases
> [...]

Pater,

Thank you and everyone involved for the great work to give the spirit
of gitflow new body keeping it alive!

Best regards,

Ian Crowther

Nov 18, 2013, 6:18:05 AM11/18/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I am new to git flow and and have a couple of questions.

1) I recently installed git flow from the nvie/gitflow repo which is reporting as v0.4.2-pre, is the AVH Edition a more active stream?  You guys have done a fair few releases since 0.4.2.

2) Should I consider the AVH Edition the "main" stream of dev? does nvie still do releases?

3) If I switch to the AVH Edition, how do I upgrade?  Can I just re-run the install scripts or do I have to remove some old scripts.

All a bit newbie I'm afraid, but I'm trying to introduce git glow at my company and want to understand a bit more

Ian

Peter van der Does

Nov 18, 2013, 7:14:57 AM11/18/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 03:18:05 -0800 (PST)
Ian Crowther <crowth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I am new to git flow and and have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) I recently installed git flow from the nvie/gitflow repo which is
> reporting as v0.4.2-pre, is the AVH Edition a more active stream?
> You guys have done a fair few releases since 0.4.2.
>
> 2) Should I consider the AVH Edition the "main" stream of dev? does
> nvie still do releases?
>
> 3) If I switch to the AVH Edition, how do I upgrade? Can I just
> re-run the install scripts or do I have to remove some old scripts.
>
> All a bit newbie I'm afraid, but I'm trying to introduce git glow at
> my company and want to understand a bit more
>
> Ian

Ian,

To answer your questions:

1) We try to improve and enhance the software on a regular basis. If you
check the whole changelog you will see what we've done. On github you
can check some commit statistics.

2) We believe it is the "main stream". but we are bias of course :) As
far as nvie doing releases, as mentioned in the footnote of the
original post: "The original set of extensions have not been updated
since 2012 and the last release was done in 2010". With original we
meant nvie's version.

3) To start using the AVH Edition you just install it. No need to
uninstall the previous version.

Peter van der Does

--
GPG key: CB317D6E

Site: http://avirtualhome.com
GitHub: https://github.com/petervanderdoes
Twitter: @petervanderdoes

signature.asc

Mateusz Loskot

Nov 18, 2013, 7:22:40 AM11/18/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
On 18 November 2013 12:14, Peter van der Does <pvand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) We believe it is the "main stream". but we are bias of course :) As
> far as nvie doing releases, as mentioned in the footnote of the
> original post: "The original set of extensions have not been updated
> since 2012 and the last release was done in 2010". With original we
> meant nvie's version.

IMHO, it's actually pity Vincent hasn't posted any statement yet.
As a project founder, if he does not have time or interest in maintaining it,
he should notify to users of his software and direct them to the AVH Edition
as the current and actively maintained version of what Vincent has created.
I imagine it would be right thing to do for project sustainability and
'unconfusion' of users.

Markus Gattol

Nov 18, 2013, 8:57:06 AM11/18/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
How would I update to the current develop branch if I had installed the development version on Linux such as described here https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow/wiki/Installing-on-Linux,-Unix,-etc. a week ago?

Peter van der Does

Nov 18, 2013, 11:19:25 AM11/18/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
Markus,

You can just run the command again. If you want to keep up with the
bleeding edge (aka develop), I would recommend the following:

- Clone the repository to your local machine.
- When you want to update do a git pull.
- Run "make install"

--
Peter van der Does
signature.asc

Markus Gattol

Nov 18, 2013, 3:59:03 PM11/18/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

ok, so I used the repo as put in place by the installer script... git pull inside works as usual (no need to do another clone), just have to become root to run make install inside it so it can but stuff in /usr/local/...

Cheers,
Markus

Ian Crowther

Nov 18, 2013, 6:11:10 PM11/18/13
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Peter,

Brilliant, thanks for the info, I'll switch over a take a look.  Good work all for keeping this going.

Ian

james....@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2014, 6:39:02 AM2/4/14
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
hey peter, et al -

  i've been a happy use of git-flow and at this time need to figure out a means to version project files. quite a few google/stackoverflow results pointed me to git-flow-avh, which i have installed and am quite comfortable with. specifically i really like the one-line release branch command:

  % export VERSION=`date "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`; echo "VERSION=$VERSION"; git flow release branch "$VERSION"  -m "$VERSION" -p --showcommand

  this works awesomely, but i'd now like to inject the version into the release, namely maven pom files. i have hacked around with a number of [ws]/.git/hooks files ... eg

post-flow-release-start) but they don't look to get executed. i have chmod 755 the hook files.

  thoughts? i could really use a pointer on this item.

  much appreciated,

- james

chang...@gmail.com

May 22, 2015, 12:04:43 AM5/22/15
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
What is AVH stands for ????????
please, I google it for a week!

Peter van der Does

May 22, 2015, 7:13:56 AM5/22/15
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com, chang...@gmail.com
AVH == A VirtualHome

張旭

May 22, 2015, 7:30:47 AM5/22/15
to Peter van der Does, gitflo...@googlegroups.com
WOW! thanks! I will google for it Virtual Home
--

張 旭
[image: http://]about.me/zx1986