Gitflow Finishing Releases and Automated Builds

mbid...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2015, 2:05:36 PM11/9/15
to gitflow-users
We are looking at using gitflow as a workflow for projects in Git.  Mapping our process onto gitflow commands, I believe it would work as follows.

1) When a release is read for QA we would execute a Gitflow release start command to create a release branch.
2) Over the course of 1-3 weeks stabilization fixes would be made on the release branch until a release GO is achieved,
3) The gitflow release finish command would be used to merge the stabilization fixes into Develop and the whole release into Master.

Since the QA time can be long, we would like to avoid freezing Develop during the QA process.  However, this would appear to open the door to the release-finish failing due to merge conflicts - which creates significant roadblocks for automated build and release processes.

Are merge conflicts during release finish operations common in practice?  Is so how do you handle them in automated processes?

Thanks!

Bill Ward

Nov 9, 2015, 2:17:31 PM11/9/15
to gitflo...@googlegroups.com
you can do periodic merges from Master (to get any hotfixes) into your QA release/* branch, and from your release/* branch into develop so that the developers working on the next version have access to hotfixes and stabilization fixes. That's what we do and it's pretty simple. If you do that there should be minimal if any merge conflicts.

Check out my LEGO blog at brickpile.com
Follow/friend me: FacebookFlickrTwitterLinkedIn