log4j madness

Ralph Lessmann

Dec 17, 2021, 5:32:18 AM12/17/21
to gitblit
hello,

I know it's bothering, but does GitBlit uses log4j and if so, can that be changed?

Thanks

Matthias Sohn

Dec 17, 2021, 6:46:59 AM12/17/21
to git...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 11:32 AM 'Ralph Lessmann' via gitblit <git...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
hello,

I know it's bothering, but does GitBlit uses log4j and if so, can that be changed?

it seems to use log4j 1.2.17

Thanks

Florian Zschocke

Dec 18, 2021, 10:20:16 AM12/18/21
to gitblit
Hi!

Gitblit uses log4j version 1.2.17. This version is not affected by Log4Shell.

To reach the same exploit effect with log4j 1.x a specific custom logging configuration is needed, making use of JMSAppender. Gitblit does not do this in its default configuration.
Thus, Gitblit is not affected by Log4Shell.

If you had altered the logging configuration of your installation in an exploitable way, then you would need to fix that. Otherwise you are okay. You should make sure, though, that your installation is protected against others writing or adding configuration files.

Here some links with background information, why we say that Gitblit is not affected.

Ralph Lessmann

Dec 19, 2021, 8:51:54 AM12/19/21
to gitblit
Many thanks for the comprehensive explanation. This is very helpful indeed.

Ralph