How to use Gitblit as LFS store without hosting repos?

Steve Hoelzer

Jul 28, 2016, 10:20:32 AM7/28/16
to gitblit
Is it possible to use Gitblit as an LFS store without hosting any repositories?

Git LFS works great when Gitblit hosts the repo. I also tried specifying the LFS url as "https://user@gitblitserver/r/my-repo.git/info/lfs" and that still works. (Note that the repo name is in the url.)

So now I want to work with a repo hosted elsewhere, set the LFS url as above, and have Gitblit only be a LFS store. But if Gitblit doesn't host any repos then what url do I use?

Thanks,
Steve
Message has been deleted

Steve Hoelzer

May 31, 2019, 6:16:19 PM5/31/19
to git...@googlegroups.com
I never figured out how to use Gitblit as an LFS store without hosting any repositories, but I came up with a workaround.

I made one empty repo in Gitblit that is never used. I named it "lfs-store.git". Just the fact that it exists lets me use the filestore in any other repo. Do that by setting "url" in .lfsconfig like so:

[lfs]
url = "http://username:password@li-cst-util/r/lfs-store.git/info/lfs"

Hope that helps.

Steve

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 3:09 PM Sagar Khushalani <khushala...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Steve,
>
> Did you ever figure this out? I'm looking to do the same thing - add Gitlib as an LFS store for an existing git repo.

Florian Zschocke

Nov 8, 2019, 7:38:10 PM11/8/19
to gitblit
If you already have an existing Git repo, you could also use Gitblit to manage, or simply view, that repo. And thereby get LFS for it, plus the rest of the Gitblit-goodness.

Florian Zschocke

Nov 8, 2019, 7:49:32 PM11/8/19
to gitblit

Ah, didn't see the first message that it is on another server. Yeah, I guess you found the best way to achieve that.