GISSIG Summer Program - Here Comes the Sun: Solar Development in Our Region & an Overview on Scenic Hudson's Solar Mapping Tool

GIS_SIG

May 14, 2021, 12:17:24 PM5/14/21
to GIS_SIG
Please join us for our Summer Program. Alex Wolf from Scenic Hudson and Heather Ferrero from Livingston County will present on their work with Solar Development

When: Tuesday, June 8, 2021, from 12 PM to 1:00 PM EST

Where: Online

Cost: Free

Registration: http://bit.ly/GISSIGSu21Solar

Abstract:

Through the Climate Leadership and Community Protection
Act, New York State has set a mandated goal of a zero-emissions electricity
sector by 2040, including 70% renewable energy generation by 2030. In
this virtual session, Heather Ferrero of Livingston County will be giving a
short overview of solar development’s geographic spread in our region –
special focus on Livingston County. In addition, Alex Wolf of Scenic
Hudson will be demonstrating the new Solar Mapping Tool developed for the
Hudson River Valley region (and usable in our region,
too!).

Alex Wolf, Conservation Scientist at Scenic Hudson, conducts research and
analyses pertaining to Hudson Valley natural resources, with a focus on
climate change adaptation, mitigation, and resilience, as well as the
ecology and conservation of local flora and fauna. Prior to joining Scenic
Hudson, he was a researcher at several institutions including the Cary
Institute for Ecosystem Studies and the Missouri Department of
Conservation. Alex has co-authored more than 10 scientific publications. He
earned a Bachelor of Science in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavioral Biology
and a Master of Science in Wildlife Ecology.

Heather Ferrero, Deputy Planning Director for Livingston County, has been
involved with local land use and GIS in Livingston County for 23 years. An
avid mapping enthusiast, she earned Bachelors and Masters of Arts degrees
in Geography. When not at work, she tends to her family’s treehouse
village – including a car and a plane in the trees – in their backyard.