Reminder - Register Now - GIS/SIG Fall Program

GIS-SIG Board

Oct 10, 2023, 9:16:07 AM10/10/23
to GIS_SIG
“QUICK AND EASY” CENSUS DATA IN GIS

Please join us for our Fall Program at the Henrietta Town Library. Justin Cole, GISP from the University of Wisconsin GIS Professional Programs will be presenting a workshop on how to utilize Census Data in GIS.

When: Wednesday, October 18th, 2023, 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM

Where: Henrietta Town Library Community Room 625 Calkins Rd, Rochester, NY 14623

Cost: $5 (Pay at the door)

Registration: https://bit.ly/GISSIGFall2023

Program details:

“QUICK AND EASY” CENSUS DATA IN GIS
Justin D. Cole, GISP – University of Wisconsin Madison GIS Professional Programs

Census data is a great resource for any GIS project, but it can be very overwhelming, and using it can be tricky at times. The data are in many forms on the Census.gov website but I have found that using the TIGER/Line with Selected Demographic and Economic Data is by far the easiest method of getting a lot out of it. This data comes in a prepackaged Geodatabase with the spatial data, a metadata table, and then many other tables with numerous attributes. Using this geodatabase is easy, but finding your story can be a little hard. In this workshop, we will go through these steps from loading the data to creating custom fields, and then prepping the data for publishing on ArcGIS Online.  While most of the presentation will be ArcGIS Pro driven, I will also be showing parts that can be done using QGIS.  So bring your laptop and follow along and I hope that this presentation gives you the confidence to utilize the Census data.

If you want to follow along, please download the census tracts geodatabase from https://www.census.gov/geographies/mapping-files/time-series/geo/tiger-data.html before the meeting.  If you cannot attend or would like the walkthroughs and presentation, you can go to https://justincolegis.com/.