Family Programming / Scratch Course

1 view

Carl Tracy

Nov 8, 2011, 11:59:11 AM11/8/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

We're beginning to put together plans for a family / kids oriented programming event and could use some help.  Here what I would like to accomplish with the event:
  • Done in Scratch
  • Introduce kids to computer science
  • Build something fun and engaging
  • Students come away with the confidence that computer programming is something they can do
If you have ideas about engaging activities / teaching techniques / would like to participate or help with the instruction then please let me know. Similarly if you have questions please ask away!

Thanks for your time,
  – Carl
Carl Tracy
www.carl-tracy.com
@chaos46692

There are 1011 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it’s only a hundred billion. It’s less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
Richard Feynman

leigh roessler

Nov 8, 2011, 12:00:48 PM11/8/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com
what would the age group be?
thanks!

From: carl...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 11:59:11 -0500
Subject: [GirlDevelopIt Cbus] Family Programming / Scratch Course
To: girl-develop...@googlegroups.com

Carl Tracy

Nov 8, 2011, 12:11:29 PM11/8/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com
Leigh,

> what would the age group be?
That's something to be determined. I would love for it to be 6 and up, but mixed ages 6 - 18 makes the course design more difficult (you're essentially designing two courses at two speeds).

If all ages turns out to be too difficult we'd do a 6 to X workshop and (X+1) to 18 workshop . Where X=12,13 or 14.