KidsRuby

Jen Myers

Oct 28, 2011, 2:38:36 PM10/28/11
to Girl Develop It Columbus
Okay, so this is adorable and has cemented my interest in doing a
family or kid workshop, possibly even with KidsRuby:

http://www.blackgirlscode.com/1/post/2011/10/kidsruby-and-me.html

What do you all think?

Joe Vonderwell

Oct 28, 2011, 9:15:23 PM10/28/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com
I love it! Thanks for sharing this Jen. It's awesome to see that young people have an interest in this. Give it a go. May also help spread the word about GDI to teachers and parents.
Today I come across some materials which referenced Ruby on Rails as a web development tool (HTML, CSS, JavaScript). Is this what you use? Was that in the Ruby class that I did not take?

Joe Vonderwell

> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:38:36 -0700
> Subject: [GirlDevelopIt Cbus] KidsRuby
> From: jmy...@girldevelopitcbus.com
> To: girl-develop...@googlegroups.com

Raju Gandhi

Oct 31, 2011, 11:25:26 AM10/31/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jen,

That looks awesome! I am not sure how you are approaching this - word-of-mouth? We could try talking to families that we know (I don't have one so I guess I am not the demographic here :D) ...

How can I help?

Raju

Jen Myers

Oct 31, 2011, 11:39:55 AM10/31/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com
Ha, I'm not sure how I'm approaching this either. :) It's something we've talked a lot about, but I've got so much on my plate it hasn't gained any traction quite yet. I'm thinking the best course of action might be to just set up a workshop some weekend. If anyone is interested in taking a larger organizational role in this, please feel free to jump in and I'll help set it up. Otherwise, I probably won't be able to put something together until after we get our next round of classes started after the new year.

--
Jen Myers
jmy...@girldevelopitcbus.com

Carl Tracy

Oct 31, 2011, 11:50:22 AM10/31/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com

>Otherwise, I probably won't be able to put something together until after we get our next round of classes started after the new year.

That's probably a good thing anyway. I don't feel it's something we should attempt during the holidays, too much craziness and too much stress. We had our "holiday dinner" last year in late February. It was a big hit. There was enough time for people to de-stress and there's a lull in activity between mid January to March.

FWIW I have no problem helping with the organizing. Which chapter did the family event? It's eluding me. Definitely thing it's worth talking to other organizations that have done this.

- Carl
Carl Tracy
www.carl-tracy.com
@chaos46692

There are 1011 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it’s only a hundred billion. It’s less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
Richard Feynman

Kim Hamper

Oct 31, 2011, 11:59:51 AM10/31/11
to girl-develop...@googlegroups.com