Expressing free variables in the metalogic

Cris Perdue

Apr 9, 2014, 7:11:43 PM4/9/14
to ghil...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am new to Ghilbert and this mailing list.  The concept sounds very interesting, and I have a few questions.  Please pardon me if I am missing obvious points.

The Ghilbert home page mentions replacing distinct variable conditions with a more traditional technique for expressing free variable conditions. This sounds attractive in that free variable conditions are much more familiar. I have two questions about this:

1) Have you found some proofs that are significantly harder or more cumbersome using the more traditional approach?  (If so can you refer me to a couple in some way?)

2) Does the system currently have a way to specify the conditions (and is there documentation that I may have overlooked)?

I know the system is far from complete, but this is an interesting topic from my point of view.

Thanks,
Cris

Raph Levien

Apr 10, 2014, 8:52:45 PM4/10/14
to ghil...@googlegroups.com
Hi and welcome to Ghilbert!

As you mentioned in another thread while this message was stuck in moderation (I thought I was signed up for alerts, guess not), the answer is in this thread:
Feel free to ask followup questions. Lately I've been exploring translating from Ghilbert to Coq, and so questions about free variables have been resurfacing.

Raph