Invitation: Programming Systems - Not just for data science

Robbert Gurdeep Singh

Aug 4, 2022, 9:56:40 AM8/4/22
to ghen...@googlegroups.com

Dear member of Ghent FPG,

I'm organizing an event that might interest you. Professor Tomas Petricek from the  University of Kent will be giving a talk entitled "Programming Systems — Not just for data science" on Monday 22 August 2022 at 14:00-15:30 in  Leslokaal 3.1 at Sterre S9 (Krijgslaan 281, 9000 Ghent). You are cordially invited to attend this lecture. Kindly reply to this mail if you want to attend.

Abstract

Programming language research is a successful field, but it has an immense blind spot. Programs are created not by just writing code, but by interacting with rich stateful programming systems or environments. Notebooks for data science provide a perfect example. In notebooks, coding is interleaved with code execution, code is often written for specific data source and users often prefer copying and modifying blocks of code over designing reusable abstractions. If we want to design better programming tools, not just for data science, we need to look beyond programming languages and think about programming systems instead.

To advance the state-of-the-art of programming systems, we need a systematic way for talking about them. To allow this, Professor Petricek will introduce technical dimensions of programming systems which is a qualitative framework for evaluating the design of programming systems. Looking at programming systems allows us to rethink our established assumptions about programming tools. Petricek will show how this leads to new designs of programming tools for data science (The Gamma project), but also how this lets us see interesting features in unexpected past systems (Commodore 64 BASIC).

Professor Petricek is a leading researcher in the field of programming systems. He is a lecturer at University of Kent and aims to make programming easier and data science more accessible. His PhD dissertation was on coeffects, a theory of context aware programming languages. Previously, he worked at Microsoft Research on tools for the F# programming language. He also wrote a popular book on the language: "Real-World Functional Programming". Apart from theoretical work, Professor Petricek studies the history of programming and writes about it from a philosophical perspective. More on Tomas can be found on his website: http://tomasp.net.

Kind regards,
Robbert Gurdeep Singh

Programming Systems — Not just for data science.ics
OpenPGP_signature

Hendrik De Vloed

Aug 4, 2022, 10:18:05 AM8/4/22
to ghen...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm interested to attend this lecture.

Kind regards,
Hendrik De Vloed