Is FP a real thing in Belgium?

Alexey Raga

Sep 17, 2017, 7:34:36 AM9/17/17
to Ghent Functional Programming Group
Hi All,

I now live in Australia where FP community is quite big and where FP is appreciated and used quite widely.
Now I am looking at the FP positions in Belgium and find them pretty much non-existent. I was using Google and Monster.be and only found this UG.
Is there any special corner of the Internet where FP people from Belgium live? :) Are there companies in Belgium that are using FP (preferably Haskell) in production?

Regards,
Alexey Raga.

Koen De Keyser

Sep 21, 2017, 10:43:40 AM9/21/17
to Ghent Functional Programming Group
Hi Alexey,

FP in a commercial setting is not that big in Belgium, but definitely not non-existing.

Specifically, in the Ghent area, I am aware of 4 companies that run on FP in production:

- Western Digital (through its Amplidata acquisition) has major components in Ocaml (disclaimer, I work for them)
- PieSync, has a Haskell component in production
- Waylay.io, seems to be using Scala
- Openvstorage, Ocaml users

There are probably more, so if anyone else could chime in, that would be appreciated.

Koen

Romain Demeyer

Sep 22, 2017, 3:30:11 AM9/22/17
to Ghent Functional Programming Group
I would also mention Mission Critical IT, they use Mercury (logic/functional language) and have offices in Belgium and... in Australia.

BR,

Hendrik De Vloed

Sep 22, 2017, 3:57:53 AM9/22/17
to ghen...@googlegroups.com
And on the agenda of this recent event you'll find some more companies that adopted FP.
https://dtai.cs.kuleuven.be/projects/vLambda/posts/public/2017-09-13-industry-workshop.html

Andy Georges

Sep 26, 2017, 5:27:45 PM9/26/17
to Ghent Functional Programming Group
Hi,

Since a few weeks, we have a Haskell based application running in production for parsing log data (and other stuff that comes through rsyslog). The only reason it exists is because I was fed up with other crappy solution that worked half-assed or not and did never really do what we needed and I started working on it in my own time and provided a PoC -- otherwise I'd never have received approval te even start thinking about it. We also have a few Haskell scripts to chat with Elastiscsearch, as it was easier to get the queries right with some help from the type system, unlike in *cough* python. Code is at https://github.com/hpcugent/hnormalise

But we're still mostly a python shop, with a bunch of perl things for our cfgmgmt system's backend. And the occasional bash script. (OK, we also run some Go, but that's not FP, is it? :-)

Kind regards,
-- Andy