concurrency talk (29/2, 15:00)

Tom Schrijvers

Feb 21, 2012, 10:23:01 AM2/21/12
to ghent-fpg
You are kindly invited to the following FP talk:

Time & Place:

we 29/2, 15:00 @ campus De Sterre, building S9, room V2

Speaker:

Romain Demeyer, FUNDP Namur

Title :

Proper Granularity for Atomic Sections in Concurrent Programs

Abstract :

Concurrent programming becomes more prevalent in software development,
but still faces the harsh reality that writing correct and efficient
programs is hard and error-prone. Race conditions are among the most
frequent errors that occur in concurrent programs. Existing static and
dynamic analyses are capable of detecting low-level race conditions
but most of them are unable to detect those that occur at the
application level. In this talk, we present a static analysis to deal
with these high-level races in a STM Haskell-like language. Based on a
specification that describes the consistency of the
shared resources, our analysis detects related races by using abstract
interpretation and equational reasoning. When the program is
race-free, our analysis is capable of returning a probably more
efficient but still correct fine-grained program.

--
prof. dr. ir. Tom Schrijvers

Programming Languages Group
Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Ghent

Krijgslaan 281 S9
9000 Gent
Belgium