Reviving the group

Koen De Keyser

Sep 26, 2017, 2:53:42 PM9/26/17
to Ghent Functional Programming Group
The Ghent Functional Programming Group seems to have been dormant for way too long, so lets revive it.

I have created a Meetup ( https://www.meetup.com/Ghent-Functional-Programming-Group-Meetup/ ).

The current - very preliminary - plan would be to host a meeting, roughly once a month, somewhere in Ghent.

Topics would includes:

- Getting started with ... (e.g. Haskell, Ocaml, F#, ...): tutorial sessions with an overview of the language
- Technical talks about functional language concepts (e.g. what are GADT's / Type Families / etc )
- Battlefield experience reports: someone / some company did a project in a functional language, how did it go, pitfalls and takeaways.
- Hackathons: let's build something together
- Q&A / I-need-some-debug-help: open sessions, raise issues you ran into an get some input from the audience.

Right now, I am looking for input:

- Would you attend, do you have suggestions for topics, or even better, do you want to give a talk?
- What time slots would work? Currently thinking of starting around 19-20h, duration of 1-2h

Goal it to set up a first meeting in the second half of October. If you or someone you know would be interested in participating in these meetups, please forward them this group / the meetup.

thanks,

Koen

Andy Georges

Sep 26, 2017, 3:05:11 PM9/26/17
to ghen...@googlegroups.com
Hey Koen,

> On 26 Sep 2017, at 20:53, Koen De Keyser <koen.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The Ghent Functional Programming Group seems to have been dormant for way too long, so lets revive it.

Yes, we sort of never managed to organise stuff after some point. Tom moving back to Leuven did not help much either :)

> I have created a Meetup ( https://www.meetup.com/Ghent-Functional-Programming-Group-Meetup/ ).
>
> The current - very preliminary - plan would be to host a meeting, roughly once a month, somewhere in Ghent.
>
> Topics would includes:
>
> - Getting started with ... (e.g. Haskell, Ocaml, F#, ...): tutorial sessions with an overview of the language
> - Technical talks about functional language concepts (e.g. what are GADT's / Type Families / etc )
> - Battlefield experience reports: someone / some company did a project in a functional language, how did it go, pitfalls and takeaways.
> - Hackathons: let's build something together
> - Q&A / I-need-some-debug-help: open sessions, raise issues you ran into an get some input from the audience.
>
> Right now, I am looking for input:
>
> - Would you attend, do you have suggestions for topics, or even better, do you want to give a talk?
> - What time slots would work? Currently thinking of starting around 19-20h, duration of 1-2h

Sadly, there are very few slots in the evening that work for me, given family life and other responsibilities. However, should a time and date fit my schedule I would certainly attend, but I would not get my hopes up.

> Goal it to set up a first meeting in the second half of October. If you or someone you know would be interested in participating in these meetups, please forward them this group / the meetup.

We sued to convene in the University buildings, but that location is no longer available. I’m still working at uni, so is Bart (Coppens), but I’m not sure either of the locations we work at would be convenient. Also, it would require us to attend and in my case, that’s rather doubtful.

Thanks for making an effort though, I hope it works out.

Kind regards,
— Andy

Pieter Vander Vennet

Sep 26, 2017, 6:58:46 PM9/26/17
to ghen...@googlegroups.com
Hey there everyone,

I too never made an effort to revive the group, due to my studies and other engagements.

However, as my studies are finished now and I'm no longer living in Ghent, it has no use to stay in this group - and certainly not as a moderator as I am.

I hope that Ghent FPG comes to live once again, but that will be without me.

Kind regards and best of luck,
Pieter

PS: in Zeus WPI (https://zeus.ugent.be/), there are a bunch of guys with love for Haskell and functional programming. If Ghent FPG hosts events, you can ask them to provide a space and in exchange for a "in samenwerking met", you'll even get some advertising towards students.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Pieter Vander Vennet