Mailing list news

Hadley Wickham

Aug 11, 2010, 9:09:48 AM8/11/10
to ggplot2
Hi everyone,

I am very excited that the mailing list has almost reached 1,000
members, but the downside is that I can no longer guarantee a response
to all questions sent to the list (I'd managed to do that previously,
even if it could take some time). I really want to provide excellent
support to ggplot2, but I also need to work on the next thing that's
going to be even better than ggplot2.

The ggplot2 community is a fantastic resource and I really don't think
I'm needed that much anyway ;) I'll still keep an eye on the mailing
list, noting bugs and answering questions that no one else can, but
I'd like to encourage everyone on the list to actively take part and
help out. If you're still learning ggplot2, and want to contribute,
the easiest way is to help others generate minimal reproducible
examples.

I'd also like to get a few more volunteers to become mailing list
administrators to help spread some of the spam prevention load -
please email me off list if you are interested.

Thanks for helping to make ggplot2 so successful!

Regards,

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/

Harlan Harris

Aug 11, 2010, 10:51:54 AM8/11/10
to ggplot2
Congratulations on your excessive success, Hadley! And totally
understandable. We'll expect you back dedicating your life to customer
support once you get tenure. :)

And really looking forward to your even better work in the future!

Also, have you thought about trying to redirect ggplot2 questions to
Stack Overflow? It's a lot easier to search, find authoritative
answers, etc., than even Google Groups (which are pretty good for
mailing lists).

-Harlan

Mike Lawrence

Aug 12, 2010, 7:45:35 PM8/12/10
to Harlan Harris, ggplot2
I have to echo the sentiment that the google groups search has
occasionally frustrated me as I search for posts I remember but can't
find. The tagging system in stack overflow might help solve this. As a
psychologist, I also like the motivation system built into the
reputation accounting. Another benefit of the stack sites is no more
spam monitoring :Op

One question though: If we were to migrate
ggplot2 to a stack format, should we use stack overflow
itself, or propose a new stack via Area51
(http://area51.stackexchange.com/)?

Mike

> --

Mike Lawrence
Graduate Student
Department of Psychology
Dalhousie University

Looking to arrange a meeting? Check my public calendar:
http://tr.im/mikes_public_calendar

~ Certainty is folly... I think. ~

romunov

Aug 13, 2010, 1:52:00 AM8/13/10
to Mike Lawrence, Harlan Harris, ggplot2
StackOverflow gets ggplot2 questions daily and I see no harm in continuing the "tradition". We already have a tag and continuing would, compared to starting a new *exchange, require no extra invested energy.

Cheers,
Roman
In God we trust, all others bring data.

Brian Diggs

Aug 13, 2010, 12:32:07 PM8/13/10
to ggplot2
I've not used StackOverflow, so I do not know what additional features
it offers. However, I do agree that the Google Groups interface is
sub-optimal. I read it through an RSS feed which goes to the web
interface. I know I could have emails sent directly to me, but I
don't want to deal with the overhead of manually cleaning out old
messages nor do I want the interruption of new mail notifications for
every email to the list (I am aware I could configure something to
overcome these). What I would really like is a gmane.org gateway.
Gmane.org is a mailing list to NNTP gateway service. NNTP is, to me,
a better fit for how I use and want to interact with this list. It is
how I read r-devel, r-help, ess-help, r-sig-mac, and bioconductor. I
realize this suggestion does not change any of the underlying problems
with spam prevention, but I make it in the idea of making responding
to things on the list easier.

--
Brian Diggs