Heatmaps with dendrograms

Carsten Kuenne

Jan 5, 2017, 9:32:53 AM1/5/17
to ggplot2
Hi,

I recently wanted to switch from heatmap.2 to ggplot2 for drawing heatmaps, but found that the latter does not natively support dendrograms. I am aware of a few hacks including roughly arranging multiple plot layers/viewports to produce something like this, but that is not really flexible/exact enough for what I'm trying to do.

Are there plans to natively support integrated dendrograms as part of the ggplot2 grammar in the future? This would not just be a valuable feature to improve heatmaps, but could be used for a variety of plots to denote similarity.

Best,
Carsten