Issue setting up dev environment: upstream master

Dan Ruderman

Jul 9, 2015, 10:28:27 AM7/9/15
to ggplo...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I'm following the instructions at http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ggplot2/vignettes/development.html
and have run into a snag.

Things worked up until the command setting the upstream repository, which gave an error and a deprecation warning:

% git branch --set-upstream master hadley/master
The --set-upstream flag is deprecated and will be removed. Consider using --track or --set-upstream-to error: the requested upstream branch 'hadley/master' does not exist hint: hint: If you are planning on basing your work on an upstream hint: branch that already exists at the remote, you may need to hint: run "git fetch" to retrieve it. hint: hint: If you are planning to push out a new local branch that hint: will track its remote counterpart, you may want to use hint: "git push -u" to set the upstream config as you push.

I tried the suggestion of running "git fetch" but this did not solve the
problem. Note I am running git version 2.3.2 (Apple Git-55).

Here is the relevant content of the .git/config file:
[remote "hadley"]
fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/hadley/*

Thanks
Dan

Dan Ruderman

Jul 9, 2015, 10:36:38 AM7/9/15
to ggplo...@googlegroups.com
Figured it out.  Needed to run "get fetch hadley" instead of just "get fetch".

thanks
Dan