run names for high level objects

Gabor Grothendieck

Nov 15, 2012, 2:59:27 PM11/15/12
to ggplo...@googlegroups.com
It would be convenient if higher level objects such as Geom, Stat, etc. had objname components (like lower level ones already do) so that if one is mucking around in the runtime structures that one can quickly know where one is.  Alternately use the component name ..Name in place of objname which name.proto in the proto package will already use, if present, to find a meaningful name.

Hadley Wickham

Nov 15, 2012, 4:29:38 PM11/15/12
to Gabor Grothendieck, ggplo...@googlegroups.com
I think that's good advice, but the long term plan is to move away
completely from proto. Not because proto is bad, but I now think it's
now it's not the best fit for the problem (most of the objects don't
actually need to be mutable), and more people are familiar with S3/R5
which makes it a bit easier to get contributions.

Hadley
--
RStudio / Rice University
http://had.co.nz/