unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so'

Bibudh Lahiri

Mar 13, 2015, 12:40:17 PM3/13/15
to gg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
   I am using Mac OS Yosemite (10.10.2), and I installed GTK 2.18 first and then GTK 2.24. I have also installed Ggobi 2.1.8. I set the PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH variables in R using the following commands:

Sys.setenv(PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/ggobi/bin:/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/bin:/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Versions/2.24.X11/Resources/lib:/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs")

Sys.setenv(PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/ggobi/lib/pkgconfig:/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/lib/pkgconfig")

   However, when I try to install rggobi from R (version 3.1.2) using the following command:

   install.packages("rggobi", type = "source")

   I get the following error:

   Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :

  unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so':

  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.1/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so, 6): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXinerama.1.dylib

  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Versions/2.24.X11/Resources/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib

  Reason: image not found

Warning: Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.

Please install GTK+ from http://r.research.att.com/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11.pkg

If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed and that it is on your PATH environment variable

IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN

   I have added the path to RGtk2.so in PATH, so please suggest what else needs to be done.

   Thanks

               Bibudh

Michael Lawrence

Mar 13, 2015, 2:23:02 PM3/13/15
to Bibudh Lahiri, GGobi users
Sending this again, since Google blocked me.

PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH are not going to help with this.  Do you have X11 installed on your system? No idea if Yosemite comes with this. Is there a /usr/X11 directory? If it's there, are the libraries named differently? If so, Simon will need to provide a new GTK+ binary for Yosemite.

Bibudh Lahiri

Mar 13, 2015, 2:41:05 PM3/13/15
to gg...@googlegroups.com, bib...@gmail.com
I have X11, it's under /opt/X11. The folders under it are bin, etc, include, lib, share and var. Do I need to put anything from there in the env variables?

Michael Lawrence

Mar 13, 2015, 3:55:52 PM3/13/15
to Bibudh Lahiri, GGobi users
The GTK+ binaries from Simon assume that X11 is located under /usr, so either you need to install a different X11 package, or get a different binary. If the official X11 has moved under /opt, then Simon will need to make a new one. Note that I don't use the Mac, so I am sort of in the dark here.