Linking error

Herb Kuntz

Feb 1, 2020, 7:46:41 PM2/1/20
to gg95
I just downloaded, installed cygwin to my computer, which went well.  I downloaded & installed the g95 file & installed.  I wrote a short program & tried to compile it the resulting message was:

$ g95 -v MultiSources.f90
C:/cygwin64/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-cygwin-g95.exe: error while loading shared lib
raries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since I am new to this environment I expect I missed something, but do not find anything overt in the reference documents.  Is there another library which I need to reference?  I had tried the -o flag, but no object file was generated & no warnings were output.

Any help would be appreciated.

Herb

Darius Markauskas

Feb 2, 2020, 1:49:50 PM2/2/20
to gg...@googlegroups.com
I can't help you with this problem, however, I would recommend you to use Gfortran compiler instead. G95 is not developed any more (latest binary from 17.01.2013).  You can download MinGW together with Gfortran from https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/

Herb Kuntz

Feb 2, 2020, 5:40:29 PM2/2/20
to gg...@googlegroups.com
Darius,

Thanks, I will look into this.

Herb

Herb Kuntz

Feb 2, 2020, 8:01:26 PM2/2/20
to gg...@googlegroups.com
Darius,

That worked very nicely (though I do prefer Linux/Unix OS for such work).

Thanks for your assistance.

Herb

uberkuhl

Feb 2, 2020, 8:31:58 PM2/2/20
to gg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Herb,

Gfortran is part of gcc.  Should be easy to find under linux.  More info:

Herb Kuntz

Feb 2, 2020, 9:43:55 PM2/2/20
to gg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  I had been using it on a Linux machine, but am using a W10 machine.

ziggy76

Feb 3, 2020, 5:44:46 AM2/3/20
to gg95
Hi Herb,
You can use MSYS which is a simplified linux-like environment using MinGW.

Regards.

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 at 01:46, Herb Kuntz <pengu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just downloaded, installed cygwin to my computer, which went well.  I downloaded & installed the g95 file & installed.  I wrote a short program & tried to compile it the resulting message was:

$ g95 -v MultiSources.f90
C:/cygwin64/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-cygwin-g95.exe: error while loading shared lib
raries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since I am new to this environment I expect I missed something, but do not find anything overt in the reference documents.  Is there another library which I need to reference?  I had tried the -o flag, but no object file was generated & no warnings were output.

Any help would be appreciated.

Herb

Loup Blanc

Feb 6, 2020, 7:51:28 AM2/6/20
to gg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Did you check that environment variables have been set ?

See below, from https://www.g95.org/windows_faq.shtml:
"
Q. 9. Why does the g95 Windows build require environment variables
to be set?

A. The g95 library and several supporting programs are separate
files from the g95 compiler, some of which may be located in different
directories. The environment variable LIBRARY_PATH or G95_LIBRARY_PATH
helps the compiler and linker find those files.
"

(As g95 become older, use gfortran is strongly recommended...)

Frédéric
> --
Message has been deleted

Herb Kuntz

Feb 18, 2020, 6:32:24 PM2/18/20
to gg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the assistance.  I have been using the gfortran with success.  Since that is working well, I have not returned to the g95.

Herb