Latest g95 Compiler for Windows 7 64-bit ??

monir

Sep 22, 2011, 10:11:29 AM9/22/11
to gg95
Hello;

1) I'm currently using the g95 Fortran compiler (g95MinGW41):
.... ver.: G95 (GCC 4.1.2 (g95 0.92!) Jun 17 2009)
.... with Win XP 32-bit.

2) I'd like to install the appropriate (latest?) version of g95 on my
NEW Laptop running Win 7 Pro 64-bit OS.

a-> Can someone please provide the name, version, and the (correct!)
link to the FREE downloading ??
b-> Do I have to set the Environmental Variables after the
installation, or they're automatically set ??
c-> {I don't recall doing that with the version I have on the other
laptop (Item 1 above)}

Thank you kindly.
Monir

Clive Page

Sep 23, 2011, 4:42:29 PM9/23/11
to gg95
I installed g95-MinGW-41.exe (marked experimental) which I got from
http://ftp.g95.org/g95-Cygwin-41.exe

There are two things to note.

(1) Install it in a folder (directory) which does not have any spaces
in the name, I used C:\g95

(2) You have to set up your Path manually, as Windows 7 does not do it
for you automatically (I guess Bill Gates doesn't approve of Fortran
since they stopped producing their own compiler some time ago). You
can do this using:
Start | settings | Control Panel | System | Advanced System settings |
Environment variables
The one you want is the Path system variable (not PATH user variable)
and you need to insert the path to the g95 binary, for example I
installed g95 in the directory C:\g95 so I inserted "C:\g95\bin:" -
don't forget to follow it with a colon to separate it from the rest of
the Path string. Doing the edit is difficult because the nice people
at Microsoft gave us a text window about 20 characters wide in which
to view and edit a string which can easily be hundreds of characters
long, but that's about par for this user-hostile operating system.

monir

Sep 23, 2011, 6:15:18 PM9/23/11
to gg95
Hi Clive;

Thank you kindly for your clear advice and precise instructions.
Greatly appreciated.
Will follow your guidelines.

Just a follow-up question.
How satisfied are you with the (latest) g95 compiler for Win 7 64-bit
(relative to its earlier ver. for Win XP 32-bit) ??
The reason I'm asking is that I've read somewhere that the g95 project
is dead now (not even on a life support!), since its developers
haven't heard from or surfaced for years.
Does this really matter or even be a concern to the average users ??

Regards.
Monir

Clive Page

Sep 25, 2011, 2:14:46 PM9/25/11
to gg95
On Sep 23, 11:15 pm, monir <mon...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Just a follow-up question.
> How satisfied are you with the (latest) g95 compiler for Win 7 64-bit
> (relative to its earlier ver. for Win XP 32-bit) ??

I think g95 is a very good product, and I use it almost every day. I
also use gfortran, which has now overtaken g95 in supporting
Fortran2003 features, but I find that the g95 error messages are
mostly better and I don't use F2003 features very much. It is a good
idea, I find, to compile code using at least two compilers. If a
program works on all of them, there is a much greater chance that you
have found all the important bugs.

Although it seems that Andy is doing little or no work on the
compiler, I understand that he does still reply to emails, but I
haven't felt the need to contact him recently.

Regards

monir

Sep 25, 2011, 7:25:32 PM9/25/11
to gg95
Hi Clive;

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

I do have gfortran (gcc-4.5.0) on my other computers (Win XP SP3 32-
bit), but never really used it apart from testing it after
installation!
The majority of my fortran programs are in F77, some in F77 with F90
style, and very few in F90/F95, so I'm not sure whether I really need
to install the gfortran compiler (for Win 7 64-bit) in addition to the
g95. This maybe an extra complication I can live without, albeit your
suggestion of having two compilers is certainly worth serious
consideration.

Kind regards.
Monir

monir

Oct 4, 2011, 1:42:34 PM10/4/11
to gg95
Hi Clive;

1) As per your earlier advice (Win 7, 64-bit), I successfully
downloaded g95 from:
http://ftp.g95.org/g95-Cygwin-41.exe
and sat up the system Path manually by inserting "C:\g95\bin;"
(I'm assuming you meant "followed by a semi-colon" not a colon)

The version of the compiler is displayed as:
G95 (GCC 4.1.1 (g95 0.92!) Jun 17 2009)

2) Notice, it is GCC 4.1.1, which I suppose an earlier version than
the GCC 4.1.2 which I have for Win XP (see OP).
Also, it is not "marked experimental" as per your earlier reply.

Please advice at your convenience.

Thank you.
Monir

monir

Oct 4, 2011, 8:36:19 PM10/4/11
to gg95
(Supplement to my today earlier reply)

A) Having successfully installed the g95 compiler on the new notebook
(Win 7, 64-bit), I tried to compile a simple test file which had been
successfully compiled earlier on another computer with Win XP 32-bit
OS and using the same simple command).
C:\ ... >g95 -o test test.for

B) I'm getting the message:
ld: crt0.o: No such file: No such file or directory.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Monir

On Oct 4, 1:42 pm, monir <mon...@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi Clive;

monir

Oct 29, 2011, 10:01:23 AM10/29/11
to gg95
Hello;

Special thanks to Doug Cox (private communication) for his tremendous
help in resolving the issue:
..> The appropriate g95 version for my OS is: g95-MinGW-41.exe
..> Downloaded & installed from: http://ftp.g95.org/g95-MinGW-41.exe
..> The system PATH and G95_LIBRARY_PATH are automatically set during
the installation.
The g95 compiler has been tested and it works fine for me.
.... G95 (GCC 4.1.2 (g95 0.92!) Jun 17 2009)
.... Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Regards.
Monir

jfh

Nov 2, 2011, 5:25:35 PM11/2/11
to gg95
There are still a few bugs but the ones I know of are pretty obscure.
One thing I have just found is that when printing a real value larger
than huge(1.0) with SS sign editing, g95 was one of the compilers
giving +Inf. Others gave Inf or Infinity. I have asked the
comp.lang.fortran newsgroup whether that is standard-conforming. I
never use Win so I can't answer your first question.

--
John Harper

monir

Nov 3, 2011, 10:23:11 PM11/3/11
to gg95
On Nov 2, 5:25 pm, jfh <john.har...@vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> There are still a few bugs but the ones I know of are pretty obscure.
> One thing I have just found is that when printing a real value larger
> than huge(1.0) with SS sign editing, g95 was one of the compilers
> giving +Inf. Others gave Inf or Infinity. I have asked the
> comp.lang.fortran newsgroup whether that is standard-conforming. I
> never use Win so I can't answer your first question.
> John Harper

I believe it depends on your version of fortran.
If my memory serves me correctly, I don't recall ever encountering
+Inf, and I'm using g95 with F90 and (yes) F77.
You're propably using a later version (F2008 ??).

Regards.
Monir

Abhishek Tiwari

Apr 20, 2017, 6:25:12 AM4/20/17
to gg95

 i am using  (Win 7, 64-bit), I not successfully install

downloaded g95 from:
http://ftp.g95.org/g95-Cygwin-41.exe
 i am create new folder in C -drive "migwn". inside this folder copy the exe. file & run it,. after install how to set path please suggest me...

please help me for install & set path fortan g95

ziggy76

Apr 25, 2017, 12:09:48 PM4/25/17
to gg95

Hello,

Personnaly, I used this link from The Fortran Company :
http://www.fortran.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/g95-Mingw_201210.exe

but perhaps you can try the one proposed on this forum :
http://ftp.g95.org/g95-MinGW-41.exe

If the set up program runs as intended, all the path variables will be initialized correctly.

I think the Cygwin setup needs a Cygwin environment. On the contrary the Mingw version brings a minimalistic environment suitable to compile native executables.

Regards.