Printing from Database to receipt printer via Bluetooth.

John Terrero

Aug 12, 2014, 2:54:34 PM8/12/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am trying to print data which comes from my oracle database to a bluetooth connected printer on a windows 8.1 tablet.

The printer is a Citizen.

Can someone point me in the right direction of how to go about implementing this?

Thanks,

James Adam

Aug 12, 2014, 3:03:38 PM8/12/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Unfortunately, this has a few components (Windows tablets, bluetooth, your specific printer model, and Oracle) which are a bit too far outside my expertise to be of much help. Have you located a user manual for your printer that includes the specific control codes the printer uses? Do you know if the bluetooth connection can be treated like a serial port from within Windows 8.1?

This may not be particularly helpful, but I’d try and write some simple software to get the data out of the oracle database and print it out in a terminal (‘command window’ I think they call it on Windows) first. I’m not sure what languages you are familiar with, or what it’s even possible to work with on a tablet, but I expect there must be some way of running Ruby or Python scripts that’s not too onerous. So your first problem will be connecting to the database and loading some of the data back into your program, and then turning it into simple strings that you can write to the screen.

If plain text is fine for your printed output, you’ll probably only need to implement a minimal amount of formatting (newlines and perhaps some bold printer codes which you should be able to find in the printer manual, but you can even skip these). Presuming that the bluetooth connection can be treated like a serial one, you can probably use a serial library to send your strings straight to the printer. There’s a pretty good chance that it will at least print *something* out, and if you’re lucky all you might need to do after that is adjust newlines to make it look good.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you’re going to be able to use the Printer software (http://printer.exciting.io) that this google group is about without doing quite a bit of work, but hopefully above there are some pointers in a useful direction.

Good luck!

— James