Keep Getting "Sorry, I haven't seen any printers connect from near you"...

carfreemaine

Jul 28, 2012, 4:19:49 PM7/28/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from Maine USA!
  I'm using the thermal printer sold by Adafruit and have been successfully using it with their Thermal Printer library at a 91200 baudrate.  But the real reason I got the printer is to try this project!  After finally getting all the components together I gave it a shot today...  My setup is almost exactly as described in the tutorial except that I connect the printer to its own 5V 2A power supply via the 2.1 mm terminal adapter from Adafruit.  Besides that everything else should be wired exactly as stated in the tutorial.  I uploaded the sketch and added the MAC address as it appears on my Intel Core 2 Duo Mac laptop, making sure to change it from d4:9a:20:09:c3:d5 to  0x9A, 0x20, 0x09, 0xC3, 0xD5...When the sketch loads all three LEDs blink once and then unfortunately the Red LED blinks 3 times and stays on...  When I try to connect to the Printer Backend I just get the "Sorry, I haven't seen any printers connect from near you." message...  Any idea why I can't connect?
  Needless to say I am quite excited about working on this project!  I can think of a million things I would love to use it for, but first I have to get it connected!

   Thank You Again,
    Andrew in Maine

James Adam

Jul 28, 2012, 7:10:09 PM7/28/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
The three LED blinks is the device telling you that it can't establish a connection to the server, which would also explain why the server is reporting that it hasn't seen any printers connect form near year.

Just to check, you have set your MAC address to {0xD4,0x9A,0x20,0x09,0xC3,0xD5} ? In your mail below, you had missed off the first D4. There should be 6 parts to it, basically.

It's also worth double checking the cable that you're using; if you plug it into a computer, does that computer successfully get an IP address and connect to the internet?

- James

Message has been deleted

carfreemaine

Jul 28, 2012, 9:54:44 PM7/28/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the prompt response!
  Unfortunately, the MAC address mistake was only on the email so the address in the sketch did in fact have 6 parts to it when I checked...
   I checked again to see if the ethernet cable is showing an IP address. It is connected as it should be as far as I know.  It says "Ethernet is currently active and has the IP Address 169.254.xx.xxx" which is for local assignment if I remember right...  I assume this is what its supposed to be?
 Under "Configure IPv4" I am using Automatic DHCP as the default.  Is there a way to configure it manually?
  Otherwise everything looks like it should be except the device isnt communicating...
   I'm comfortable with the programming side of things, but I'm still sort of feeling my way around with the network configuration stuff... In case you didn't already figure that out..
   I'm stumped...
     Thank you again for your response,
      Andrew
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gfr-printer+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

carfreemaine

Jul 29, 2012, 9:30:45 AM7/29/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Update-

I think this quote I found on the Arduino.cc forum best sums up my own issues-
there is sometimes a large disconnect between the networking knowledge required to successfully use an arduino ethernet shield and what the typical arduino user may know about networking

But everything is a learning opportunity...
  I was able to get it working when I connected directly to the modem, also realized that the new Arduino Ethernet Shields have a static MAC address printed on the box.  But i'm not out of the woods yet...  I still need to figure out what's going on with the configuration on my laptop.   I hardly ever use a hardwired connection because I have the modem in a different room with a wireless router.  And since most of the projects I wanted to do with the Free Range Printer have to do with very specific situations (like printing out a task list right next to the door before I leave in the morning) I at least need to figure out how to run it off a laptop.  Eventually, I wanted to look into connecting via some sort of wireless connection like a GPRS Shield.

James Adam

Jul 29, 2012, 10:14:53 AM7/29/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
On 29 Jul 2012, at 14:30, carfreemaine <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to get it working when I connected directly to the modem, also realized that the new Arduino Ethernet Shields have a static MAC address printed on the box. But i'm not out of the woods yet... I still need to figure out what's going on with the configuration on my laptop.

When you say "connected directly to the modem", do you mean the printer, your laptop, or both? What is the (original) network configuration which doesn't work?

- James

Andrew Jawitz

Jul 29, 2012, 10:48:05 AM7/29/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Sorry,
  I always think I'm being more specific than I really am...
 My original configuration was using an Ethernet Cable to connect from the Arduino to a Macbook which was/is connected via wifi.
    I have a studio in my attic with an Intel Dual Core Xeon Mac Pro Desktop which my wife uses as a work computer and a Motorola Surfboard SB5101U Modem connected directly to a D-Link Gamerlounge DGL-4500 Wireless Router.  I have my Mac Pro Desktop wired directly to one of the Ethernet ports in the D-Link router as it had no Built-In Airport receiver when it shipped.  Everything else I have in the house, including laptop, mobile devices and TV run off of the D-Link wifi.
   I was ultimately able to connect the Ethernet shield by plugging the cable directly into one of the open Ethernet ports on the D-Link Router.  Since the Mac Pro is also wired directly to the D-Link router I was able to reach the Backend Server on that computer.
  I did not register anything however, as I will not be using that configuration with the printer in everyday practice.
  So the issue has something to do with my local wifi network configuration...

Chris Roos

Aug 2, 2012, 5:45:11 AM8/2/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrew,

Did you get any further with this?

I've just replicated your set-up and have had the printer working successfully.  One thing you haven't mentioned in your emails is whether you've enabled Internet Sharing on your Macbook (from the Sharing preference pane in System Preferences).  You'll need this to be enabled so that your Macbook acts as a DHCP server, which will allow the Printer to get an IP address and talk to the outside world.

You'll also need to make sure that the MAC address of the printer is the one printed on the Ethernet Shield, not the MAC address of your Macbook (multiple devices on the same network sharing a MAC address will definitely cause you problems).

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Chris

Andrew Jawitz

Aug 2, 2012, 9:55:10 PM8/2/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Success!!! Finally!!!  I have to say this is one case where Apple definitely DOES NOT make it easy to do something relatively simple!  It has options for "Web Sharing" "Internet Sharing" and several others...  I've been trolling the web every day since my last post and asked my friend who professional manages network architecture (though he is a Windows guy...) and come up dry on EVERYTHING!
  I got the yellow light as soon as I tried your suggestion this morning but it took until now to fiddle with the wiring and sketch to get it right!  But I got it!  Its like my first "Blink LED" all over again
 Thank You Again!

332.gif

Chris Roos

Aug 3, 2012, 6:31:01 AM8/3/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Andrew Jawitz <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
Success!!! Finally!!!  I have to say this is one case where Apple definitely DOES NOT make it easy to do something relatively simple!  It has options for "Web Sharing" "Internet Sharing" and several others...  I've been trolling the web every day since my last post and asked my friend who professional manages network architecture (though he is a Windows guy...) and come up dry on EVERYTHING!
  I got the yellow light as soon as I tried your suggestion this morning but it took until now to fiddle with the wiring and sketch to get it right!  But I got it!  Its like my first "Blink LED" all over again
 Thank You Again!

No problem.  I'm glad you got it working!  Shout if you have any more problems.

Cheers, Chris

332.gif

Oliver King

Mar 3, 2014, 7:09:01 PM3/3/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com, ch...@seagul.co.uk
Hi Chris, I've had the exact same problem- not connecting on network computer but works when plugged directly into the router. I've tried enabling internet sharing and a couple of recommended settings but still no luck.

Wonder if you (or anyone that has an idea) could possibly suggest what the problem could be?

Thanks, Oli. (Included the 'Share Internet' settings changed below).

Computer > Manage
"Services and Applications">
"Services">
"Internet Connection Sharing">
"General" tab>
Startup Type = "Automatic"
"Recovery" tab>
"Subsequent Failures" > "Restart the Service"
"Restart service after" 0 minutes

James Adam

Mar 3, 2014, 7:15:45 PM3/3/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,

Have you tried running the Arduino connected via USB to your computer, enabling DEBUG in the sketch and monitoring the debug output via the Serial Console? Doing this should help confirm whether or not your computer is assigning the Arduino an IP address.

— James
> > > Thank You Again!
> >
> > No problem. I'm glad you got it working! Shout if you have any more problems.
> >
> > Cheers, Chris

Oliver King

Mar 5, 2014, 9:41:26 AM3/5/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
So i have enabled DEBUG by deleting the necessary line. Re-uploaded it then opened the Serial Console.. but no activity within the serial console. Is there something else i'm missing?

James Adam

Mar 5, 2014, 9:43:06 AM3/5/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
You need to uncomment the line, rather than delete it.
— James

> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gfr-printer.

Oliver King

Mar 5, 2014, 10:07:56 AM3/5/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
1499: ID: 2g6r6j4c3d1o7l6g
15410: IP: 192.168.XXX.XX
15426: Attempting to connect to printer.exciting.io
15516: Waiting for data
15516: Waiting for data
15517: Waiting for data
15526: Waiting for data
15577: Content length: 0
15584: Waiting for data
15606: Server disconnected
15660: Bytes: 0
15660: Duration: 249
25689: Attempting to connect to printer.exciting.io
26348: Waiting for data
26348: Waiting for data
26349: Waiting for data
26358: Waiting for data
26385: Waiting for data
26411: Waiting for data
26437: Waiting for data
26463: Waiting for data
26488: Waiting for data
26515: Waiting for data
26541: Waiting for data
26567: Waiting for data
26593: Waiting for data
26618: Waiting for data
26645: Waiting for data
26671: Waiting for data
26696: Waiting for data
26723: Waiting for data
26772: Content length: 0
26779: Waiting for data
26802: Server disconnected
26853: Bytes: 0
26854: Duration: 1178
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gfr-printer...@googlegroups.com (mailto:gfr-printer+unsub...@googlegroups.com).
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gfr-printer.

James Adam

Mar 5, 2014, 10:45:12 AM3/5/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Oliver.

So that looks like a successful connection from your printer. I’m not sure why you still wouldn’t be able to see the printer through the web interface, but now that I know your printer ID, here’s the equivalent URL:

http://printer.exciting.io/my-printer/2g6r6j4c3d1o7l6g

— James

On Wednesday, 5 March 2014 at 09:07, Oliver King wrote:

> 1499: ID: 2g6r6j4c3d1o7l6g
> 15410: IP: 192.168.XXX.XX
> 15426: Attempting to connect to printer.exciting.io (http://printer.exciting.io)
> 15516: Waiting for data
> 15516: Waiting for data
> 15517: Waiting for data
> 15526: Waiting for data
> 15577: Content length: 0
> 15584: Waiting for data
> 15606: Server disconnected
> 15660: Bytes: 0
> 15660: Duration: 249
> 25689: Attempting to connect to printer.exciting.io (http://printer.exciting.io)
> > > >

> > > --

Oliver King

Mar 5, 2014, 10:59:19 AM3/5/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Working! Fantastic

> > > --

Alberto Cereser

Oct 25, 2014, 1:23:54 PM10/25/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, I am also getting a "Sorry, I haven't seen any printers connect from near you" error. I have a wifi router; my Mac is connected to it via wifi and the printer via cable. I changed the IP address from ab:c1:... to 0xAB,0xC1,... in the console, and I uncommented the #define DEBUG line. If I verify/upload the script I don't see any output; do you have any suggestion on how to proceed?

Thanks!
Alberto
Message has been deleted

James Adam

Oct 25, 2014, 1:27:51 PM10/25/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alberto,

Do you see the yellow LED flashing every 10 seconds? If not (and assuming your electronics are OK), then your printer isn’t actually connecting to the server.

If you’ve uncommented the debug flag, but you’re not seeing any output at all, I think there must be something wrong going on; at the very least, you should see the generated printer ID in the serial monitor.

It would also be worth trying to find a router where you can connect the printer directly via ethernet, rather than using your computer as a relay - purely to rule out the computer as a source of the connectivity issue.

— James

Alberto Cereser

Oct 25, 2014, 3:50:59 PM10/25/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. My yellow led flashes every 10 sec, so I guess things are fine on that side. I will try connecting the printer directly via ethernet, re-check the electronics and let you know.

Alberto

James Adam

Oct 25, 2014, 5:38:57 PM10/25/14
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
If the yellow LED is flashing, it should mean you have a good connection, which is a very positive sign.

Do you know your printer’s ID? If the auto detection isn’t working, you can always find your printer’s page by visiting http://printer.exciting.io/my-printer/<your-printer-id>

— James