Fwd: CFP: simple and simplified language

Peter Ljunglöf

Sep 17, 2020, 2:16:30 AM9/17/20
to Grammatical Framework
Hej GF!
Here’s a call that seems to be very fit for our community. Abstract deadline 31 Oct.

Best
Peter

Vidarebefordrat brev:

Från: Andras Kornai <and...@kornai.com>
Datum: 16 september 2020 19:48:52 CEST
Till: "m...@cs.earlham.edu" <m...@cs.earlham.edu>
Ämne: [MoL] CFP: simple and simplified language

Dear Colleagues,

We are editing a special issue of Frontiers in Communication or Frontiers in Psychology on simple and simplified languages. Full details at https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/15999/simple-and-simplified-languages

Simple/simplified language refers to any form of written, signed, or spoken communication that is kept within bounds that are significantly smaller than generally seen in linguistic communication. Reduced vocabulary (only a few hundred to a few thousand items), simplified morphology and syntax, iconicity, and broad reliance on common sense theories are obvious markers of simplification, but we recognize that in many cases (e.g. in spelling reform) no such trivial markers exist.

We seek to address this topic from a range of perspectives, including its psycholinguistic, sociolinguistic, computational, lexicographic, information-theoretic, and (machine) translation-related aspects. We are interested in contributions addressing any aspect of the use, adaptation, measurement, and theory of simple and simplified languages, including, but not limited to, computational measures of the complexity of language, investigation of pidginization/creolization processes, studies of grammatical or structural simplification, experimental studies examining simplification guidelines, best practices, and communication aides.

Requirements: An abstract should normally be no longer than 1,000 words, and should describe original and previously unpublished work. Abstracts should include a hyperlink to a list of references cited, and must be submitted online no later than October 31, 2020. Further details are available at the link above.

Please do not hesitate to contact us  with any questions,
Sigal Uziel-Karl (sig...@gmail.com)
Scott Hale (scott...@oii.ox.ac.uk)
Andras Kornai (kor...@sztaki.hu)