GF installation on Ubuntu 11.10

Faegheh Hasibi

Nov 11, 2011, 10:38:51 AM11/11/11
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
I've tried to install GF from both darcs and cabal on Ubuntu 11.10 and I get this error.

Error: some packages failed to install:
gf-3.3 depends on terminfo-0.3.2.2 which failed to install.
haskeline-0.6.4.5 depends on terminfo-0.3.2.2 which failed to install.
terminfo-0.3.2.2 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

I tried to install terminfo and I get the following:

E: Unable to locate package terminfo

here is the output of ghc-pkg command:

root@ubuntu:~# ghc-pkg list
/var/lib/ghc-7.0.3/package.conf.d
   Cabal-1.10.1.0
   array-0.3.0.2
   base-4.3.1.0
   bin-package-db-0.0.0.0
   bytestring-0.9.1.10
   containers-0.4.0.0
   directory-1.1.0.0
   extensible-exceptions-0.1.1.2
   filepath-1.2.0.0
   ghc-7.0.3
   ghc-binary-0.5.0.2
   ghc-prim-0.2.0.0
   haskell2010-1.0.0.0
   haskell98-1.1.0.1
   hpc-0.5.0.6
   integer-gmp-0.2.0.3
   old-locale-1.0.0.2
   old-time-1.0.0.6
   pretty-1.0.1.2
   process-1.0.1.5
   random-1.0.0.3
   rts-1.0
   template-haskell-2.5.0.0
   time-1.2.0.3
   unix-2.4.2.0
/root/.ghc/i386-linux-7.0.3/package.conf.d
   HTTP-4000.1.2
   MonadCatchIO-mtl-0.3.0.4
   binary-0.5.0.2
   cgi-3001.1.8.2
   dataenc-0.14.0.2
   deepseq-1.2.0.1
   fst-0.9.0.1
   html-1.0.1.2
   httpd-shed-0.4
   json-0.5
   mmap-0.5.7
   mtl-2.0.1.0
   network-2.3.0.7
   parsec-3.1.2
   regex-base-0.93.2
   regex-compat-0.93.1
   regex-posix-0.95.1
   silently-1.1.4
   syb-0.3.3
   tar-0.3.1.0
   text-0.11.1.9
   transformers-0.2.2.0
   utf8-string-0.3.7
   xhtml-3000.2.0.4

Any help is appreciated
--
Faegheh

Malin Ahlberg

Nov 11, 2011, 11:14:02 AM11/11/11
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

did you try
sudo apt-get install libghc-terminfo-dev ?

/Malin

Faegheh Hasibi

Nov 11, 2011, 11:39:16 AM11/11/11
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your guidance,
I tried the command, but I still get this error:

Configuring gf-3.3...
setup: The program happy is required but it could not be found.
gf-3.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

I used "cabal install happy" command to install happy and it seems that installation done successfully by showing me these lines at the end:

Linking dist/build/happy/happy ...
Installing executable(s) in /root/.cabal/bin

Many thanks in advance  for any hints.
--
Faegheh

Thomas Hallgren

Nov 11, 2011, 11:45:50 AM11/11/11
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am guessing you haven't seen the instructions on the GF download page (which
means we probably should put links to them in more places...)

http://www.grammaticalframework.org/download/index.html

Try the instructions for installing from source described there and let us know
if you still have problems.

Thomas H

> /Faegheh/

Dinesh Simk

Nov 11, 2011, 5:27:19 PM11/11/11
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am also getting some issue while installing GF 3.3 in ubuntu 11.10 but it seems issue related to cabal version
here is the error message i got on cabal install

Resolving dependencies...
<command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-1.8.0.6
    (use -v for more information)
gf-3.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:

cabal --version shows

cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version 1.10.1.0 of the Cabal library

Do i explicitly need cabal version 1.8 to install gf 3.3, or i am missing something ?

BR
Dinesh
--
Best Regards
Dinesh Simkhada

Thomas Hallgren

Nov 13, 2011, 4:51:57 AM11/13/11
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In my tests, GF 3.3 compiles without problems on a clean install of Ubuntu
11.10. I am not sure where this reference to Cabal-1.8.0.6 is coming from, but
it can probably be solved by cleaning out old stuff. Try 'cabal clean' in the GF
directory, or ghc-pkg list + ghc-pkg unregister to find and remove old versions
of haskell libraries (the Cabal library in particular).

Thomas H

On 2011-11-11 23:27 , Dinesh Simk wrote:
> Hi,
> I am also getting some issue while installing GF 3.3 in ubuntu 11.10 but it
> seems issue related to cabal version
> here is the error message i got on cabal install

> /
> /
> /Resolving dependencies.../
> /<command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-1.8.0.6/
> / (use -v for more information)/
> /cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:/
> /gf-3.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:/
>
> cabal --version shows
> /
> /
> /cabal-install version 0.10.2/
> /using version 1.10.1.0 of the Cabal library /
> /
> /

christina

Jun 23, 2014, 5:18:14 AM6/23/14
to gf-...@googlegroups.com

Another question: Does gf specifically depend on containers-0.4.2.1 or does the version not matter? The newest version is 0.5.5.1, which seems to not match the dependency:

<command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-1.14.0:
    Cabal-1.14.0-5875475606fe70ef919bbc055077d744 is unusable due to missing or recursive dependencies:
      containers-0.4.2.1-cfc6420ecc2194c9ed977b06bdfd9e69

Or am I stuck in cabal dependency hell? ;)

Best regards,
Christina

Thomas Hallgren

Jun 23, 2014, 5:23:53 AM6/23/14
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
It is complaining about Cabal, which suggests that starting with 'rm -r dist' might help...

Thomas H
--

---

christina

Jun 23, 2014, 7:51:44 AM6/23/14
to gf-...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, I had to unregister an old cabal version... Thanks! (And sorry.)