GF Summer School: 26 July – 8 August 2021, Online & Singapore

Inari Listenmaa

Feb 28, 2021, 10:49:04 PM2/28/21
to Grammatical Framework
Hi all,

The seventh GF Summer school will be organised this summer 2021 in Singapore and online!

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and travel restrictions, we plan to make the summer school fully accessible online. In addition, there will be in-person events in Singapore. For now, we expect in-person events to be primarily for people already in Singapore.

What does this mean in practice?

Lectures and presentations

* One lecture is given by a lecturer in place in Singapore to a live audience, and streamed online. Anyone watching it may ask questions, either in person or on the online platform.
* Another lecture is given by someone in their home and streamed online. Students in Singapore may watch it together in a lecture room or individually anywhere.
* If there is strong interest for synchronous lectures in multiple time zones, some of the first week's lectures could be duplicated: two instances of the same lecture at different times.

Presentation timeslots on the second week should follow the convenience of the presenter. If the presenter agrees, we would like to publish the video online, so that those on other time zones can watch.

Individual work

* Students in Singapore can work in a computer lab, I and my colleagues will be there to offer our help.
* For students elsewhere in the world, we will set up an online platform (e.g. Slack or Zulip), and invite all of you experienced GF programmers to be there and help anyone with GF questions.

Social events

* In-person outdoors excursion in Singapore for those who are interested
* Zoom hangouts, proximity chats or other technology-assisted forms of social interaction in multiple time zones.

Registration

If you're planning to participate online, there is no deadline (since we don't need to book room space/coffee for you). However, I appreciate signups in good time, so that we can plan the schedule, and get an idea of time zone distribution.

If you would like to give a talk, on either week, please let me know as soon as possible. I'll keep updating the teacher list.

Your suggestions

I would be grateful for comments and suggestions! Any favourite software or workflow for online conferences that you would recommend?

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.

Cheers,
Inari