Retrieving all TGN codes for a region

Charles Blair

Jul 9, 2022, 9:11:49 AM7/9/22
to Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data
I'm curious how to get a list of all the codes for North and Central America, which is listed as a discrete region in the TGN hierarchy. One such would be the following:

Vladimir Alexiev

Jul 11, 2022, 4:37:50 AM7/11/22
to Charles Blair, Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data

Here are 100 such places, together with their parent string.

select * {
  ?x gvp:broaderExtended tgn:1000001; skos:inScheme tgn: ;
     gvp:prefLabelGVP/xl:literalForm ?l;
     gvp:parentString ?parents
} limit 100

However, there are too many:

select (count(*) as ?c) {
  ?x gvp:broaderExtended tgn:1000001; skos:inScheme tgn:
} #
854831

and includes pacific islands because
> Within the logic of TGN, "North and Central America" is a continent, to which all nations in this area of the world are linked. It comprises lands on the North American and Caribbean plates.

So you better narrow your search somehow.

Vladimir Alexiev

Jul 11, 2022, 4:51:09 AM7/11/22
to Charles Blair, Patricia Harpring, Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data
I wondered why Northern Islands (part of Oceania) were listed under North and Central America. Turns out that's because the Mariana Islands has a secondary parent, the US:
image.png
Now I wonder why NAFTA is listed under Earth (as opposed to World).

Earth has just 3 children: NAFTA, EEA and the Moon.
That seems weird.

Getty Vocabularies LOD

Jul 13, 2022, 7:06:51 PM7/13/22
to Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data
The Vocabulary program is aware of this data issue, and it will be fixed in the next publish in early August.

Gregg Garcia
Software Architect
Getty Digital / J. Paul Getty Trust