AAT search functionality within Collective Access

Jessica

Aug 11, 2015, 1:19:38 AM8/11/15
to Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data, rum...@gmail.com
Hi,

We are in the process of building a new Collective Access database for our museum collection and IT have successfully integrated TGN & AAT.

I do not understand the technical side of the process, rather am looking at it from an end-user's perspective.

I am finding it hard to search for AAT items within Collective Access (CA). This is not dissimilar to Vladimir and and Gabriel's discussions.

For example, if I search 'Buildings' through the Getty vocab website, I can find the relevant results (see here). From these I can choose "Buildings (structures)" (aat:300004792).

If I search for the same word in CA, the list is quite random and "Buildings (structures)" is not visible (see attached screenshot).

I am unable to locate "Buildings (structures) if I search in CA for the following: "Buildings (structures)"; "buildings"; "structures"; "Buildings (structures" .

BUT if I plug in the aat number "300004792", it does come up.

Is there a way to integrate the same search functionality available on the getty vocab page into the AAT field in CA? I fear that if there isn't a way to find all items needed, staff will not make use of the full potential of this function in our database as it seems far too complex to search on vocab.getty.edu, find the word, copy the number, paste it into CA each time we wish to add a new Term.

I have also posted this in the Collective Access forum as I am not sure who would need to look into this problem. Note TGN does not seem to have this searching problem as far as I can see.

Thanks,
Jess
Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 11.59.58 am.png

Vladimir Alexiev

Aug 11, 2015, 4:53:33 AM8/11/15
to Jessica, Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data, rum...@gmail.com
Unfortunately I don’t know how CA does searches.
From what you describe it seems it doesn’t use the GVP search service but uses an internal copy.
Or I may be wrong and they use the GVP search service, but format the query slightly differently from what’s described in “Sample Queries”.

> I have also posted this in the Collective Access forum

Can you share the link?
And please keep us posted on progress, CA is one of the most important open source collection management systems.

A minor char encoding issue: at the bottom of your screenshot I see an accented char that hasn’t come out right.

Vladimir Alexiev

Aug 11, 2015, 12:28:18 PM8/11/15
to Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data, jessica....@flinders.edu.au, rum...@gmail.com
Thanks for sharing the link http://www.collectiveaccess.org/support/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/294795/aat-search-functionality-within-collective-access#latest !
I posted there, and let's hope this issue can be resolved.

Sami Rahman

Aug 11, 2015, 8:40:56 PM8/11/15
to Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data, jessica....@flinders.edu.au, rum...@gmail.com

Thanks a lot Vladimir, I'll try the changes CA made and post the update in CA forum.