How to query ULAN data, artists names and their birthdates

ziny...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 3:12:48 PM10/10/17
to Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data
Please excuse if my question sounds very naive, but I'm very new to ULAN. I downloaded a JSON file http://www.getty.edu/vow/ULANFullDisplay?find=&role=&nation=&subjectid=500115493  and looked at the structure  e.g.

      "Object" : {
        "type" : "literal",
        "value" : "German painter, printmaker, 1471-1528"
      }

But there are so many objects with type literal and a value e. g.

"Object" : {
        "type" : "literal",
        "value" : "Duerer, Albrecht"
      }

"Object" : {
        "type" : "literal",
        "value" : "Albrecht Duerer"
      }

Did I misunderstand the purpose of this data? What's a good way to get all artist names and their birth dates?
I'd like to use  Python.

Thanks
Zin

Vladimir Alexiev

Oct 24, 2017, 9:48:40 AM10/24/17
to Getty Vocabularies as Linked Open Data
A good way is to write a query. Have you looked at the sample queries, there are about 20 for ULAN?
Please note that ULAN has estimated dates, which cannot in all cases be used as birth/death dates. See "Estimated dates" in the documentation.