Contact state senator about Neighborhood Safe Speeds Bill Today! and Trash Walk Saturday

Jeff Youngstrom

Mar 1, 2012, 8:59:32 PM3/1/12
to GAIT
Most important thing first: Please read the email attached below and urge your state senator (probably Cheryl Pflug) to support this important safety bill before the Friday deadline.

Secondly, we haven't done a Trash Walk in a long long time. Let's renew the tradition this Saturday morning at 9am. We'll meet where the East Lake Sammamish Trail meets Gilman Blvd (by the Red Caboose) at 9 and work our way north along the trail until we get tired or 11am, whichever comes first.

Bring work gloves and wear warm clothes and sturdy and/or waterproof shoes. I'll provide trash bags and my collection of trash grabbers. Feel free to catch up with us along the trail if you can't make it right at 9.

Hope to see you Saturday!
Jeff

#1 - Follow the accompanying link to contact your State Senator (no need to contact your representatives) by entering your mailing address here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder

#2 - Email your senator a note expressing your support of this important public safety legislation. Below we've included some model text for you to use:

Dear Senator. _________,

SHB 1217 - the Neighborhood Safe Speeds Bill – just passed out of the Rules Committee and is poised for a vote on the Senate floor. I urge you to support this important legislation.

The Neighborhood Safe Speeds bill provides more local control, offers an additional safety tool for local governments, removes additional study costs and red tape currently required by the state, and it encourages active living by offering cities and towns the chance to create safer streets.. Most importantly, when used in conjunction with engineering and enforcement, lower speeds on non-arterial streets can save lives.

Additionally, it is bipartisan legislation with co-sponsors from both parties. It passed out of the House 96-0

Please support the Neighborhood Safe Speeds Bill (SHB 1217).

Thank you for your service,

[Your Name here]

Thanks for your good work to make safer streets in Washington!