limits when capturingException is getting called

Hector Yuen

Mar 10, 2017, 7:35:39 PM3/10/17
to sentry
Hello,

I am trying out some serializers and testing captureException() with raven on python, where are the limits set in how many objects we dump to sentry? I have an array of 500 elements, but only the first 16 are displaying in sentry.

Also I am playing with chopping the serialized output length, when I chop it to a string of 30 characters, the array looks bigger. Anyways, is there a configuration parameter to set how much we save? I know there is a parameter to the serializers called 'string_max_length' that we have to respect, but even after doing that I lose some information.

I am suspecting this is set on the client side, because to the server it was just a json file with some random information.

Thanks

Ted Kaemming

Mar 13, 2017, 8:15:22 PM3/13/17
to gets...@googlegroups.com
In addition to the client side trimming (which you already noted), there are a few different server side maximum lengths, defined here: https://github.com/getsentry/sentry/blob/6ba6d960b0e5bcb5e0598f5f8c8f49cba96d3142/src/sentry/conf/server.py#L947-L965

The bulk of the trimming is handled within the normalize function of the event manager, if you want to dig in further to identify what's happening in your specific scenario: https://github.com/getsentry/sentry/blob/6ba6d960b0e5bcb5e0598f5f8c8f49cba96d3142/src/sentry/event_manager.py#L233

One thing worth noting is that the trim function https://github.com/getsentry/sentry/blob/6ba6d960b0e5bcb5e0598f5f8c8f49cba96d3142/src/sentry/utils/safe.py#L45 will track the size of the *entire* data structure, so variations in the size of the individual members may cause different results in the case of a sequence or mapping type.

Ted Kaemming

Infrastructure