Whitelist for Sentry to work properly?

Randy Brown

Aug 10, 2016, 8:52:52 AM8/10/16
to sentry
We have embedded Sentry into an application that is running for a company behind their locked down firewall.  They are reporting that the application is stalling upon startup, and telling us that the application is making a request to "b.ssl.fastly.net" which is blocked by the firewall.  After looking through the Sentry docs, it appears that Sentry uses the Fastly.net CDN to distribute it's builds.  Does that mean that the "b.ssl.fastly.net" will need to be whitelisted by firewalls?  What is the frequency at which this call is made, and what is it doing?  Is is checking for script updates?

Thanks

Manuel Vázquez Acosta

Aug 10, 2016, 11:07:13 AM8/10/16
to gets...@googlegroups.com
Which version of Sentry you have? AFAIK, Sentry does:

- Have a beacon (though you may switch it off)
- Try to synchronize the documentation.

Upon upgrade (I maintain a local Sentry myself, from the github
repository) they try to synchronize the documentation... In my case that
fails as well, but Sentry runs quite smoothly when started up.

Best regards,
Manuel.

On 8/10/2016 8:52 AM, Randy Brown wrote:
> We have embedded Sentry into an application that is running for a
> company behind their locked down firewall. They are reporting that the
> application is stalling upon startup, and telling us that the
> application is making a request to "*b.ssl.fastly.net*
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__b.ssl.fastly.net&d=CwMF-g&c=uWkM0ymmqEjhPRpoCm9p1A&r=36akPIa4yFMG-9t5XmoMw2g4dvqwrGRelRkt33uA_yQ&m=BbIuokomGNB1y6dN5b36kRxxE0IhKkn9IxMqGYnsmIM&s=ui4U4woIXfVx318XSOm2vnVFUcyQtU43J5oxWBmACPA&e=>"
> which is blocked by the firewall. After looking through the Sentry
> docs, it appears that Sentry uses the Fastly.net CDN to distribute it's
> builds. Does that mean that the "*b.ssl.fastly.net*
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__b.ssl.fastly.net&d=CwMF-g&c=uWkM0ymmqEjhPRpoCm9p1A&r=36akPIa4yFMG-9t5XmoMw2g4dvqwrGRelRkt33uA_yQ&m=BbIuokomGNB1y6dN5b36kRxxE0IhKkn9IxMqGYnsmIM&s=ui4U4woIXfVx318XSOm2vnVFUcyQtU43J5oxWBmACPA&e=>"
> will need to be whitelisted by firewalls? What is the frequency at
> which this call is made, and what is it doing? Is is checking for
> script updates?
>
> Thanks

Matt Robenolt

Aug 10, 2016, 11:11:32 AM8/10/16
to sentry
We host our raven.js builds on Fastly. That's cdn.ravenjs.com (https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/cdn.ravenjs.com)

It's also worth noting that this is optional and may be installed via npm and compiled into your application.

--
Matt Robenolt
@mattrobenolt