Managing notification rules for ~100 projects

c36...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2016, 1:39:06 PM7/4/16
to sentry
Hi,

I manage a Sentry server at my organization. I currently have 50 teams, each with 1 project. (Most teams are just 1 person working on their own private codebase.) the number of teams is growing, and could exceed 100.

I have some custom notification rules, but it is becoming difficult to configure them manually because I have so many projects.

Here is what I want to achieve:

(1) I (the admin) would like to get a notifications (whether through email or another service) of ALL events on ALL projects.

(2) Users should get email notifications for events in their own project that contain a specific tag (sent from Raven).

Currently, I have this working via each project's settings > rules. For (1) I have all events being sent to me via the Slack plugin. Then for (2) there are email notifications with a filter for the specific tag.

This works OK but it is becoming time-consuming and tedious for me to manage this all manually, because I may soon have 100+ projects.

Is there a better way? In my Sentry home dashboard I can see the most recent events across all teams, and I'm wondering if I can just get this delivered to my inbox somehow. Also if the tag based filter could be applied to all projects, rather than me having to create the rule separately for each project.

Thank you :)

David Cramer

Jul 5, 2016, 1:44:07 AM7/5/16
to gets...@googlegroups.com, c36...@gmail.com
We’re actually overhauling notifications right now.

Fundamentally we’re doing a few things, but they play into a much longer term strategy:

- Breaking up notifications between workflow and alerts
- Adding numerous new notifications and subscription options focused on workflow
- Building a much more powerful system on top of alerts, which will include overhauling rules

These are fairly large projects, and while we expect workflow features to be available in 8.7, the alerts stuff we’re looking at a few months out.

Here’s a ticket tracking some of the workflow based stuff, and there’s a PR about ready to land: https://github.com/getsentry/sentry/issues/3427

The rest is an internal spec, primarily because we have a lot of competitors at this point, and we’d prefer they have to wait until we release things to implement our ideas :)

David Cramer

Jul 5, 2016, 1:44:35 AM7/5/16
to gets...@googlegroups.com, c36...@gmail.com
Oh and one final note, you’ll also see a summary email available in 8.7 (likely only weekly right now).

c36...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2016, 2:38:23 AM7/5/16
to sentry, c36...@gmail.com
Wow great! Thank you.