subscription request formats

alex

Feb 28, 2008, 6:39:03 PM2/28/08
to GetPingd
guys, just wanted to say once again - really nice work.
uhm.. just a couple of things.
it states very clear: "the subscription method instead aims to be
extensible as per the mechanisms used in many other IETF RFCs", but do
you think it would be wise to recommend some? I mean, if I was a
"regular" developer, I wouldn't really go and implement any possible
mechanisms, I'd just opt for a simple and/or frequently used one.
Could be nice to have a sort of an extended yet simple example of for
web hook as well as XMPP.

btw, has somebody tried already this for real? any prototypes
implemented? I think I might try do that.

alex.

Paul Jones

Feb 29, 2008, 3:04:31 PM2/29/08
to getp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

guys, just wanted to say once again - really nice work.

Thanks for the support!

uhm.. just a couple of things.
it states very clear: "the subscription method instead aims to be
extensible as per the mechanisms used in many other IETF RFCs", but do
you think it would be wise to recommend some? I mean, if I was a
"regular" developer, I wouldn't really go and implement any possible
mechanisms, I'd just opt for a simple and/or frequently used one.

I guess that was probably me not being entirely clear in the spec - the aim is that the mechanisms we initially propose don't become the only ones ever possible. The spec does define two "initial" mechanisms - and I guess my hope would be that these would be some of the standard implementation targets.

Could be nice to have a sort of an extended yet simple example of for
web hook as well as XMPP.

I'll certainly add some more extended examples soon - we were just wanting to get the initial idea out there. I have expanded much of the content today; hopefully it makes it all more useful.

btw, has somebody tried already this for real? any prototypes
implemented? I think I might try do that.

Nothing is implemented for real yet. But hopefully that won't be the case for too long. Especially if you'd like to help change it!

Paul.