dropped support for gotm_fabm.nml

Knut

Jan 16, 2024, 8:40:52 PMJan 16
to getm-users
hi jorn,

just saw that gotm_fabm.nml was removed from the gotm code. when run
from getm, we do not use gotm.yaml. is it possible to use gotm.yaml with
only the turbulence and fabm sections?

thanks and cheers, knut

Jorn Bruggeman

Jan 17, 2024, 3:36:38 AMJan 17
to getm-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Knut,

I wasn't aware of that removal :-) But yes, in principle gotm_fabm is configured by providing it with a pointer to a yaml node (https://github.com/gotm-model/code/blob/master/src/fabm/gotm_fabm.F90#L171), which can be created from outside (e.g., GETM) with just a few lines. We do the same in pygetm with turbulence:

https://github.com/BoldingBruggeman/getm-rewrite/blob/devel/python/pygotm_wrapper.F90#L45-L46
https://github.com/BoldingBruggeman/getm-rewrite/blob/devel/python/pygotm_wrapper.F90#L50

Thus, it is possible to configure gotm_fabm and/or turbulence from a gotm.yaml file, as long as that file contains the "fabm" and/or "turbulence" sections. Whether you prefer that over reading gotm_fabm.nml (and reinstating support for it in gotm) is another matter though.

Cheers,

Jorn
--

---

Karsten Bolding

Jan 17, 2024, 3:46:55 AMJan 17
to getm-...@googlegroups.com
We can re-introduce gotm_fabm.nml but some will have to take on maintenance (as is also the case for the turbulence namelist).

Knut

Jan 17, 2024, 4:18:54 PMJan 17
to getm-...@googlegroups.com
hi jorn and karsten,

thanks for the links. I think from the GETM developer side there is no
problem with migrating to yaml for gotmturb, however for the users it
will be important to easily transform their existing gotmturb.nml then
(too many switches to do it manually).

In this context I think it would be good to keep some routines on the
GOTM side, to have a tool for the transformation of (only) gotmturb.nml.

cheers, knut

Knut

Mar 9, 2024, 9:28:17 PMMar 9
to getm-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jorn,

thanks a lot for the links. I now replaced gotm_fabm.nml also on the
GETM side. Could you please fix that GOTM and/or FABM also install
yaml_settings.mod in GOTM_PREFIX?

GETMDIR/src/3d/getm_fabm.F90:136:8:

  136 |    use yaml_settings
      |        1
Fatal Error: Cannot open module file ‘yaml_settings.mod’

Cheers, Knut