Issues for deep-water highres fjord model(s)

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 29, 2023, 5:01:06 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Wizards/Colleagues,

I am presently working on a hi-res (200m) GETM setup for a deep-water Greenland fjord, and I have a met a few challenges, that I would like to share. The first concerns 2D scaling, and the second stability/wiggles. Both issues seem problematic, but maybe some of you already have solutions or ideas to pursue.

I submit this message to both getm-users and getm-devel as the issues fall somewhere in the middle. Feel free to reply only to one of the lists.

2D Scaling.

For the fjord in question, the some sections exceed 700m water depth, and with a 200m bathy, the CFL condition (internally computed in GETM) gives a limit on the time step less than ~1.1s – for simulations timestep=1.0 has been chosen.

Given this time step, we can use a fairly large split factor of at least 60 to 120.

This means that the computations to a larger extend than what I am used to, is dominated by 2D computations and associated data exchanges. So far my limited experience with 2D GETM indicates that it does not at all scale well with number of subdomains. In normal (3D) GETM, the amount of work on the 3D side is so large, that the poor 2D performance is of little consequence. But in hires setups with deep areas, the game may change.

Did anyone look at the parallel scaling for 2D GETM? If so, are there any results/recommandations?

Stability and wiggles.

If An is not used (An=0), then wiggles grow really fast. In order to suppress the wiggles, I have to use An of around 30 or more. This seems high to me – as I a priori expected a scaling with cell area. In a new paper submitted by Markus Reinert et al, a similar fjord setup w/ dx=500m resolution use An=50. And in a 600m setup of the actual fjord in question here, I can use An=30. So, I hoped that I could get away with An in the order of 1-10, but that is not at all sufficient to dampen the wiggles.

The problem with high An here, is that it actually modifies the results. I can see differences in the timing of tidal waves going through the fjord. It may only be a few cm – or minutes in the timing, but it is significantly more than what I am comfortable with.

Are there any know/good ways to improve the stability wiggle-wise, so that we may use a lower value for An? I expect that the wiggle issue may be related to dx/D, but I have not done the math. If it holds true, then maybe An could be defined (as a file field) as somehow dependent on bathy depth.

If you have experience with this – or ideas on how to improve GETM in this respect, then please share.

Thanks,

/Bjarne

Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre

Lautrupbjerg 1-5 - 2750 Ballerup
Danish Defence Acquisition and Logistics Organisation
MOBIL: +45 4078 7320
FIIN: FMI-MA-OPD04
http://WWW.FCOO.DK/

This email was scanned by Bitdefender

Johan van der Molen

Mar 29, 2023, 5:18:36 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bjarne,

I guess for a 200 m resolution at 700m water depth, the shallow-water approximation in the governing equations of GETM doesn’t hold anymore?

So a fundamental problem (regardless of whether this is related to the wiggles you’re experiencing)? Or am I mistaken?

Best wishes,

Johan

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 29, 2023, 5:53:44 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Johan,

>I guess for a 200 m resolution at 700m water depth, the shallow-water

>approximation in the governing equations of GETM doesn’t hold anymore?

Even if the mathematical approximation of the physics doesn’t hold, we should still be able to solve the mathematical/numerical problem, ie check convergence etc.

In principle, I could enable the non-hydro approximations in GETM, but I am not sure that it will actually help with the wiggles(?)

Any experiences?

/Bjarne

Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre

MOBIL: +45 4078 7320

Knut

Mar 29, 2023, 6:11:32 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, GETM-devel

On 3/29/23 11:53, 'Bjarne Büchmann' via GETM-users wrote:

Hi Johan,

>I guess for a 200 m resolution at 700m water depth, the shallow-water

>approximation in the governing equations of GETM doesn’t hold anymore?

Even if the mathematical approximation of the physics doesn’t hold, we should still be able to solve the mathematical/numerical problem, ie check convergence etc.

In principle, I could enable the non-hydro approximations in GETM, but I am not sure that it will actually help with the wiggles(?)

I guess no.

Any experiences?

In our nonhydrostatic benchmark test cases our horizontal resolution was also much smaller than the water depth. Still we could produce stable hydrostatic simulations. So the hydrostatic approximation only caused wrong results, but does not cause instabilities.

The problem is with high-resolution and deep water and runtype=4. Bjarne, can you confirm that up to runtype=3 everything is fine?

--

---

Hans Burchard

Mar 29, 2023, 7:20:56 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, Getm Users, Marvin Lorenz, Yannik Muche
Hi Bjarne,

an MSc student of us, Yannik Muche, has similar stability problems with
shallow and strong surface stratification above deep water (river plume
simulations). Beefing up An did not really help. I think he changed the
averaging of NN or SS. Marvin or Yannik (both in cc) could comment on
that.

As for any non-hydrostatic processes reproduced with a hydrostatic
model, I would typically not worry too much. Main dynamics will be in
shallow boundary layers. It might just be that some short internal waves
in the interior will have a strange behaviour, but I would think that
that would only become relevant with even much higher resolution.

Cheers, Hans.

--
Hans Burchard, Prof. Dr.

fon: +49-381-5197-140
fax: +49-381-5197-114
e-mail: hans.b...@io-warnemuende.de
website: https://www.io-warnemuende.de/hans-burchard-en.html

Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemünde
Physical Oceanography and Instrumentation
Seestraße 15
D-18119 Rostock
Germany

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 29, 2023, 7:25:31 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Knut,

> Bjarne, can you confirm that up to runtype=3 everything is fine?

I’ve made a preliminary test, and that seems to be true.

I need to make a second test with more realistic S/T fields, I will report back ASAP.

/Bjarne

Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre

MOBIL: +45 4078 7320

Knut

Mar 29, 2023, 7:46:07 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-users

you could try with:

cmake ... -DGETM_FLAGS="-D_DELAY_SLOW_IP_"

and in getm.inp:

smooth_bvf_hor=.true.
(smooth_bvf_ver=.true.)

this helped Adolf for MedSea.
(and I think he scaled An with water depth)

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 29, 2023, 8:05:59 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, Getm Users, Marvin Lorenz, Yannik Muche
Hi Hans and Knut, (and Marvin, Yannik),

>I think he changed the averaging of NN or SS.
>Marvin or Yannik (both in cc) could comment on that.
Looks interesting.
In the meantime, I'll try the path indicated by Knut, ie
> cmake ... -DGETM_FLAGS="-D_DELAY_SLOW_IP_"
>and in getm.inp:
>smooth_bvf_hor=.true.
>(smooth_bvf_ver=.true.)

I'll test and report back.

>As for any non-hydrostatic processes reproduced with a
>hydrostatic model, I would typically not worry too much.
And I don't, at least not in the present model.
Thanks very much for the input, much appreciated.

/Bjarne

Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre
MOBIL: +45 4078 7320
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/getm-devel/8e05c0493c70b15d835b770aabdc47a8%40io-warnemuende.de.

________________________

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 29, 2023, 9:21:56 AM3/29/23
to Yannik Muche, getm-...@googlegroups.com, Getm Users, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Hi Yannik,

Could you give info on dx, dy and max depth for your case?

>actually it was 'smooth_bvf_hor = .true.' that helped in my case.

The cases I have been running so far have all used

  smooth_bvf_hor = .true.

 smooth_bvf_ver = .false.

I am now trying the -D_DELAY_SLOW_IP_ compile option and also smooth_bvf_ver=.true.

From looking at the code I am not sure why DELAY_SLOW_IP would work, but I’ll try it for sure.

Thank you for chipping in!

/Bjarne

Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre

Mar 29, 2023, 9:47:22 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, getm-...@googlegroups.com, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Hi Bjarne,

I now remember I’ve been through a similar thing together with Knut for our northwest european shelf setup a few years ago.

We ended up using -D_SLR_V26_ and -D_DELAY_SLOW_IP_, and also a depth-varying An field: zero for water depths up to 100 m, and 0.2*depth elsewhere.

Hope this helps,

Johan

--

---

Knut

Mar 29, 2023, 9:48:51 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-users

just a a side-note: _SLR_V26_ is not needed anymore

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 29, 2023, 9:53:07 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, getm-...@googlegroups.com, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Hi Johan,

> We ended up using -D_SLR_V26_ and -D_DELAY_SLOW_IP_,

Yes, that is what I try out now.

>a depth-varying An field: zero for water depths up to 100 m, and 0.2*depth elsewhere.

Right. I’m thinking about something similar, albeit maybe with a min(An) larger than zero.

For comparison, do you recall the spatial resolution (approx. dx) and max depth for the setup?

As we have depth~700[m], it would mean An up to in the order of 140m^2/s, which seems to be a lot. It will definitely impact the results.

Presently, I’ll just run a single month with various settings, starting with constant to see what we need, then in a second test, I’ll try something slightly more fancy.

Am I correct to assume, that An in principle should scale with dx*dy, ie finer grid means smaller An?

/Bjarne

Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre

MOBIL: +45 4078 7320

Adolf Stips

Mar 29, 2023, 9:53:44 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, getm-...@googlegroups.com, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Hi Bjarne,

sorry I'm in meetings, so no time right now, but quick as already proposed options by Knut and Johan, as well as spatially varying AN field, roughly at AN = 0.1 * Depth.
This is needed for all our deep setups - Black sea, Medsea, Shelf regions, otherwise wiggles of a few 100 meter elevation do appear (only Baltic behaves more soft).

Sorry neeed to look somewhere else now, ciao Adolf

Johan van der Molen

Mar 29, 2023, 10:04:47 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, getm-...@googlegroups.com, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Hi Bjarne,

Dx approx. 5 km (it’s a lat-long grid so it varies).

Max depth of the order of 4 km.

The problem was off-shelf, and our main region of interest the North Sea, hence the choice for An zero for smaller water depth so as not to impact the solution where it mattered if at all possible.

I don’t know if An should scale with the grid, but in principle I aimed for the smallest values I could get away with. Yes the values get quite high. Let me know if you’re interested in the python script I used to generate the .nc file.

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 29, 2023, 10:14:37 AM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Hey Johan,

>Dx approx. 5 km

Thanks

>(it’s a lat-long grid so it varies).

Right, but not a lot..

>Max depth of the order of 4 km.

OK, so in the order of DX.

> Let me know if you’re interested in the python script I used to generate the .nc file.

Thanks, but no thanks.

It is super-easy with NCO/ncap2. Just a few lines in bash.

Best,

Adolf Stips

Mar 29, 2023, 12:35:27 PM3/29/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de
Hi Bjarne and All,

see attached the AN file for the NWS setup, produced after quite some optimization
in order to smooth wiggles, but still to get decent tides. (it took some months to arrive here!).

However, as this problem is really hunting us since we tried the first deeper setups (2003 with Black Sea
and 2004 with Mediterranean) I would say finding a better solution would be really great.
The AN solution, was back then proposed by me and implemented by Hans (constant only then),
and later on the smoothing of bvf (again my proposal from around 2010, against strong resistance by some one).

This finally made deepwater simulations with GETM possible, but could there not be a more
physically justified solution instead of just smoothing???
(Question to the theoretical inclined of us!)

Anyhow good luck Bjarne

PS: somehow strange to see the same old problem after 20 years popping up again and again

field_AN_NWS.nc

Adolf Stips

Mar 30, 2023, 3:06:57 AM3/30/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Good morning Bjarne,

I had forgotten something yesterday - reminding you about the infamous numbers rx0,rx1.

Bathymetry smoothing is likely clear with rx0 - slope factor - steepness of bathymetry 2D.
should be small 0.4, I suppose you did this.

The real bad one, is the hydrostatic consistency rx1 (or Haney number) - it concerns the distortion of the grid cells and is 3D.
Certainly this number matters here, ideally it should be near to 1, but for sure smaller than 10.

However in our setups we have problems achieving this (or we need to reduce the number of layers substantially, or increase horizontal
resolution).

Bjarne, what are your maximal rx1 numbers?
(If it is >> 10 you would need to get it smaller)

Ciao Adolf

Principal code looks like this:
import numpy as np

def rx1(z_w,rmask):
    """
    function rx1 = rx1(z_w,rmask)

    On Input:
       z_w         layer depth.
       rmask       Land/Sea masking at RHO-points.

    On Output:
       rx1         Haney stiffness ratios.
    """

    N, Lp, Mp = z_w.shape
    L=Lp-1
    M=Mp-1

    #  Land/Sea mask on U-points.
    umask = np.zeros((L,Mp))
    for j in range(Mp):
        for i in range(1,Lp):
            umask[i-1,j] = rmask[i,j] * rmask[i-1,j]

    #  Land/Sea mask on V-points.
    vmask = np.zeros((Lp,M))
    for j in range(1,Mp):
        for i in range(Lp):
            vmask[i,j-1] = rmask[i,j] * rmask[i,j-1]

    #-------------------------------------------------------------------
    #  Compute R-factor.
    #-------------------------------------------------------------------

    zx = np.zeros((N,L,Mp))
    zy = np.zeros((N,Lp,M))

    for k in range(N):
        zx[k,:] = abs((z_w[k,1:,:] - z_w[k,:-1,:] + z_w[k-1,1:,:] - z_w[k-1,:-1,:]) /
                      (z_w[k,1:,:] + z_w[k,:-1,:] - z_w[k-1,1:,:] - z_w[k-1,:-1,:]))
        zy[k,:] = abs((z_w[k,:,1:] - z_w[k,:,:-1] + z_w[k-1,:,1:] - z_w[k-1,:,:-1]) /
                      (z_w[k,:,1:] + z_w[k,:,:-1] - z_w[k-1,:,1:] - z_w[k-1,:,:-1]))
        zx[k,:] = zx[k,:] * umask
        zy[k,:] = zy[k,:] * vmask

    r = np.maximum(np.maximum(zx[:,:,:-1],zx[:,:,1:]), np.maximum(zy[:,:-1,:],zy[:,1:,:]))

    rx1 = np.amax(r, axis=0)

    rmin = rx1.min()
    rmax = rx1.max()
    ravg = rx1.mean()
    rmed = np.median(rx1)

    print('  ')
    print('Minimum r-value = ', rmin)
    print('Maximum r-value = ', rmax)
    print('Mean    r-value = ', ravg)
    print('Median  r-value = ', rmed)

    return rx1

Bjarne Büchmann

Mar 30, 2023, 3:58:02 AM3/30/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com, Yannik Muche, marvin...@io-warnemuende.de

Hi Adolf,

For sure good points, but I have not looked at these numbers. If somebody already wrote a (python) utility script to check – eg from bathy (rx0) or from a hotstart files (rx1), then we should share it – eg on the getm-utils repo.

I don’t have the experience working with these numbers. However, using dx=200m, and rx0_max=0.4, the depth difference between neighboring grid cells may be up to 80m, right? I think that should be OK, although I did not actually compute it.

What I *have* done is ensure that the neighboring grid depth ratio is limited, and smoothed the topo by reducing the local curvature (5-point stencil).

In general, I am a strong advocate for ensuring good bathy (and “good” does not mean “as close to real data as possible”).

Best,

/Bjarne

Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre

MOBIL: +45 4078 7320

Hans Burchard

Mar 30, 2023, 4:02:28 AM3/30/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adolf,

I think if you use vertically adaptive coordinates, the problem of
hydrostatic consistency is strongly reduced, because interfaces have a
tendency to approximate isopycnal surfaces. Thisshould work, except for
near the bottom. However there, often turbulence is high and
stratification is low.

Did you experience a reduction of the problem when using adaptive
coordinates?

Cheers, Hans.
> [...]
> [4]
> https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.io-warnemuende.de%2Fhans-burchard-en.html&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C82850ef32ba24be046b208db305ced12%7C9a1651bf58af435b86a83e9334b4b732%7C0%7C0%7C638156947904298446%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=5Tti%2FhU1ABSJ2zsZ8C0awGKv2vrTO4XPOqb%2FfgGfdUo%3D&amp;reserved=0
> [5]
> https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fgetm-devel%2F8e05c0493c70b15d835b770aabdc47a8%2540io-warnemuende.de&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C82850ef32ba24be046b208db305ced12%7C9a1651bf58af435b86a83e9334b4b732%7C0%7C0%7C638156947904298446%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=1X2kb2y3r2txnNIci%2FIwwu1QwPGCB%2FqKtbd%2BUfagdsA%3D&amp;reserved=0
> [6]
> https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fgetm-users%2Ff8f32f44dae5406fa96276be81bcb593%2540fcoo.dk%3Futm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dfooter&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C82850ef32ba24be046b208db305ced12%7C9a1651bf58af435b86a83e9334b4b732%7C0%7C0%7C638156947904454692%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=EURsQSKY6R0mOi89JKjOe%2FxtdjpU%2Byk6V1%2B63Quc0%2Bg%3D&amp;reserved=0
> [7]
> https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fgetm-users%2FPRAP192MB15051DAAB101F20A97BC5A35E7899%2540PRAP192MB1505.EURP192.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM%3Futm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dfooter&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C82850ef32ba24be046b208db305ced12%7C9a1651bf58af435b86a83e9334b4b732%7C0%7C0%7C638156947904454692%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=OnwJ7a2n%2BvcT4JxDVAf3TF83r9T8VwPiH6JRPs9onOk%3D&amp;reserved=0
> [8]
> https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fgetm-users%2Fa5b75970173f4901bc1081555b41b5a6%2540fcoo.dk%3Futm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dfooter&amp;data=05%7C01%7C%7C82850ef32ba24be046b208db305ced12%7C9a1651bf58af435b86a83e9334b4b732%7C0%7C0%7C638156947904454692%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=rl52%2FhgRkcl1r1OMVFnxBtdm%2FAQLfz8RYx4ydZVuPgQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

Adolf Stips

Mar 30, 2023, 4:31:17 AM3/30/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Hans,

theoretically this should be the case as you say (actually avoiding zooming at bottom also helps).

But, we have serious problems with using vertical adaptive coordinates - as this is leading to model crashes.
So basically most gave up using adaptive coordinates (sure not working for Black Sea and Mediterranean).

There is one remaining setup, the NWS, which eventually is running with VAC - thanks to Rene, but for sure it still needs AN
for avoiding wiggles, because Haney number is still insanely large.
The SWS was also running with VAC, but no clear advantage visible, so I think this was dropped again.

Ciao, Adolf

PS: Bjarne
not sure if Nuno is on the list, he has python scripts calculating rx1 from 3D files (hotstart does not consider VAC),
but it is only a few lines reading layer thickness and then using the function I attached my other email.

Hans Burchard

Mar 30, 2023, 4:36:02 AM3/30/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried the new implemenation of vertically adaptive coordinates
that Bjarne carried out recently? That should be much more robust than
the original implementation. Don't give up ...

Cheers, Hans.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/getm-users/CAEXw-abjKa3mAkBLdARphbT4HPeLsBFNt_ejF15HGtt9093jLA%40mail.gmail.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/getm-users/CAEXw-abjKa3mAkBLdARphbT4HPeLsBFNt_ejF15HGtt9093jLA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Knut

Mar 30, 2023, 6:17:16 AM3/30/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-users

what is your reasoning for the proposed scaling?

Why proportional to D instead of sqrt(D). If related, the latter might be motivated by CFL...

Why proportional to dx instead of 1/dx? Sure, the former would be equivalent to LES and could be motivated by internal pressure gradient errors, but can you confirm less wiggles for higher resolutions in your case?

Johan van der Molen

Mar 30, 2023, 8:58:38 AM3/30/23
to getm-...@googlegroups.com, getm-users

Hi Knut,

Scaling proportional to D:

Nothing other than that a large An was needed to stabilise the model the largest depths, and that this could go to zero for smaller depths.

Sqrt(D): of course you could try, but you’d probably need the same maximum value, so overall, over the whole domain, An values would then be larger.

It might make more sense to try D^2.

Best wishes,

Johan