Can GETM-iow2.5 simulate large-scale circulation?

renxin huang

Jul 26, 2022, 11:41:02 PM7/26/22
to GETM-users
Dear all,

          I would like to simulates the East China Sea circulation(includes Kuroshio).

          However, GETM is suitable for estuarine simulations, I would like to know whether GETM simulates large-scale circulation?

Ulf Graewe

Jul 27, 2022, 5:59:22 AM7/27/22
to getm-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

          However, GETM is suitable for estuarine simulations, I would like to know whether GETM simulates large-scale circulation?
We never seriously tried this! However, the are no obvious obstacles to do so!

But please keep in mind that there are two challenges in computing large-scale circulations:
  1.  GETM uses terrain-following coordinates. Even they are adaptive, you will be faced with internal pressure gradient errors at the continental slopes, due to discretisation errors. However, this can be solved (reduced) be high enough spatial resolution.
  2. GOTM, the turbulence module called by GETM, is not well suited for waterdepths large than 1000 m. Anyhow, I am not an expert in GOTM. As I understand the issue, GOTM will underestimate the vertical mixing in deep water, and thus the overturning.
Does that help?

Cheers,
ulf

--

---

René Friedland

Jul 27, 2022, 2:25:46 PM7/27/22
to getm-...@googlegroups.com

Dear renxin huang,

the modelling group of JRC has several running GETM models of the North-Eastern Atlantic and the Mediterranean Sea and all are well resolving the large-scale circulations. Please see https://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/handle/JRC113814 for more information.

Best regards

René Friedland