GETM cartesian bathy info

Bjarne Büchmann

Oct 10, 2022, 8:13:13 AM10/10/22
to getm-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Wizards,

I am in the process of creating a GETM-setup based on a Cartesian bathymetry (in the Arctic).

For reference, I look at the box-Cartesian case: getm-setups/box_cartesian/topo.nc

It appears that the necessary dimensions and variables are:

#   dimensions: x,y

#   variables:

#    int grid_type=1

#    double x(x)

#    double y(y)

#    double bathymetry(y,x)

#    double latc(y, x) # latitude of T-points

#    double lonc(y, x) # longitude of T-points

#    double convc(y,x) # grid rotation in T-points

I believe that I understand all these, except that I may be somewhat in doubt about the exact definition of convc. Obviously, it should be the rotation of the individual cell relative to North, but I would very much like a firm definition of this.

Can any of you help me on this, or point me in the right direction?

All and any help will be much appreciated.

MED VENLIG HILSEN / BEST REGARDS

Bjarne Büchmann, PhD

Forsvarsministeriets Materiel- og Indkøbsstyrelse

Danish Ministry of Defence Acquisition and Logistics Organization
Joint GEOMETOC Support Centre

Lautrupbjerg 1-5 - DK-2750 Ballerup

TLF.   +45 72 81 56 24
OBIL +45 40 78 73 20

This email was scanned by Bitdefender

Knut

Oct 10, 2022, 8:21:16 AM10/10/22
to getm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bjarne,

convc is the angle measured clockwise between the geographical axes (true north) and the local coordinate axes (grid north). if not provided, convc=0.

hope this helps?

cheers, knut

This email was scanned by Bitdefender --

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GETM-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/getm-users/9415b35d3a2d45049f51a80df19892a4%40fcoo.dk.

Bjarne Büchmann

Oct 10, 2022, 8:24:50 AM10/10/22
to getm-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Knut,

Thanks, yes it helps.

Just two quick follow-ups.

Angle should be an degrees (360), right?

For a Cartesian grid, there is no “lat” to point north, so I assume that the y-direction is meant by “north”.

So it is the counter-clockwise angle (in degrees) from the (local) y-axis direction to true north.

Knut