Winding down Winter Quarter 2010 with the SSC

SSC UCSD

Mar 8, 2010, 4:12:44 AM3/8/10
to getinvolvedsus...@googlegroups.com
Hello friends,
The past two weeks have been a tumultuous time on campus, but have also been a true testament to student activism. We at the Student Sustainability Collective have been happy to serve you in the midst of protests in solidarity with BSU and MEChA as well as during the March 4th Day of Action. Please continue to stay updated by checking out Stop Racism at UCSD as well as UC Regent Live.

Also, please become our fan on Facebook to get the most up-to-date information about events on campus and in our community (especially where we'll be showing up with free, fresh and organic food)!

IN THIS WEEK'S NEWSLETTER:
1. The Sustainable Food Project - Statement on Diversity
2. Cycling for Commuters Workshop Series
3. TGIF Application deadline
4. Transition Town Workgroup
5. Calling all Economists!
6. CSSC 8th Annual Spring Convergence

------------------

1. The Sustainable Food Project Statement on Diversity

The Sustainable Food Project has written and posted a Statement on Diversity, available on our website here.  Though The Sustainable Food Project from its inception has been a group dedicated to bettering the food system so that all people may enjoy healthy, local, and organic food, the events of the last half of this quarter made it clear the gap between the issues for most and have acted accordingly.  Besides the statement The Sustainable Food Project began a collaboration with the Student Sustainability Collective on a campaign to forever tie the issues of social justice and environmental conscious, beginning with an event planned for early Spring Quarter that will bring together student organizations that work for humans and student organizations that work for the earth, so that they may come together and work for bettering our society together.
We have meetings on Wednesdays at 3:00 pm in the Sustainability Resource Center, we would love for you to join!

2.  Cycling for Commuters Workshop Series
Come out and learn how to fix a flat tire, be visible at night, use the bus bike racks, and get to school the fastest! Join us at the Sustainability Resource Center (next to PC Theater) on Thursdays from 3-4pm for the rest of the quarter (February 27th, March 4th, and March 11th).
Free local, organic snacks will be provided!

3. TGIF Application deadline is March 12th
The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) provides funding for projects that reduce UC San Diego’s negative impact on the environment and to make UC San Diego more sustainable in both the social and environmental sense. Check out greenfund.ucsd.edu for more information.

4. Transition Town Workgroup
Are you worried about peak oil? Come to the Sustainability Resource Center every Friday at 10 am to help form a Transition Town within our UCSD community.

5. Calling all economists!

The Student Sustainability Collective is looking for interns for Spring Quarter!  We need economics students to work on a project to help Price Center businesses transition away from Styrofoam containers.

Almost all of Price Center’s food vendors currently utilize Styrofoam containers for their food products.  Styrofoam is one of the least natural materials out there, and never fully breaks down in landfills (or in oceans where they are so often deposited).  As part of the University of California’s goal to go waste free, and in accordance with the campus wide Styrofoam ban, the Student Sustainability Collective is looking for students to do an economics assessment of the non-Styrofoam options these businesses have.

    Applicants should be ready to start Spring quarter, and will perform a comprehensive assessment of the businesses using Styrofoam, their current economic model, their options for non-Styrofoam containers, and the best way to transition to these new containers to minimize economic impact on businesses.

    To apply, send an email to Rose Eveleth at rose.e...@gmail.com with the following information:

    1.     Your name

    2.     Your major

    3.     Why you’re interested in this project

    6. CSSC 8th Annual Spring Convergence to be held April 30th, May 1st-2nd
    Do you like weekends of Sustainable fun?  Do you like fresh, local, organic, food?  Do you like time with students from other colleges?  Then you should join in the preparation of the California Student Sustainability Coalition's 8th Annual Spring Convergence! UCSD was recently gifted the opportunity to host this weekend long event that draws students from all over California as well as outside the state, and the Student Sustainability Collective is working to put together all the nuts and bolts.  If you want to be a part of this great event please email Jared A Muscat at jareda...@gmail.com.

    Thank you for your continued interest and support!

    -The Student Sustainability Collective
    at the Sustainability Resource Center
    University of California, San Diego
    ssc...@gmail.com