Newsletter: Convergence//Urban Farm//Earth Week//AND MORE!

SSC UCSD

Apr 17, 2010, 3:09:44 AM4/17/10
to getinvolvedsus...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
Thank you all for staying connected with the Student Sustainability Collective! Things are picking up quickly this quarter and there are countless opportunities for those of you who crave them. Check out this week's newsletter for info on the California Student Sustainability Coalition's Spring Convergence (at UCSD for the first time ever!), UCSD Earth Week celebrations, events by the Neighborhood Community Garden, and much more!
Also, please become a fan of our Facebook page to get the most up-to-date info on upcoming events on campus and in our community.

IN THIS WEEK'S NEWSLETTER:
1. CSSC 8th Annual Spring Convergence
2. HEAT presents EMERGENCE: A Benefit Party for Haiti
3. SFP's Urban Farm Day of Digging
4. Earth Week at UCSD
5. Cycling for Commuters Workshop Series
6. Neighborhood Community Garden
7. Human Rights Month
8. Student Worker Collective rounds
9. Recycling at the Cross for
AB540 students
10. Engineers Without Borders

1. CSSC 8th Annual Spring Convergence Weekend of 30th April, 1st-2nd May at UCSD

The California Student Sustainability Coalition's 8th Annual Spring Sustainability Convergence (http://www.sustainabilitycoalition.org/spring-convergence) will be held on the weekend 30th April through 2nd May at the University of California San Diego, bringing forth the intimate beauties of care for Mother Gaia (Mother Earth) and the humanities of effort with our fellow beings. The weekend will be full of delicious local and organic foods, hands on learning, instrumental workshops, and captivating speakers.

This Convergence holds a particularly important role in the future of student activism, as it aims to once and for all sew together the connection between the efforts of human rights and environmental care. The UN definition of sustainability includes these two ideas and after decades with people working on both sides (sometimes together) we have now come to a point where an effort in one aisle is futile if not hugged by an effort from the other side, that is to say, this Convergence weekend, sustainability will once and for all be defined as an effort not just for the earth, but for the earth and its people.

>>Would you like to volunteer during the Convergence?

The SSC welcomes you to volunteer for a minimum of 3 hours during the Convergence. Volunteer work includes registration assistance, meal preparation and being on hand to help our attendees coming from far and wide to find their way around UCSD. Your volunteer service will qualify you for free attendance to the Convergence (including all workshops and meals!) Sign up to volunteer here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dF9ZRG0wS2d5WVN6ZFVPT2RiX3J6c2c6MA

>>Can you offer housing to attendees?

We have hundreds of folks coming into San Diego who are in need of shelter for the weekend. If you are willing to offer your dorm or apartment on/near campus to host attendees, please complete the following form to specify the amount of space you can provide. Housing attendees qualifies you for free attendance to the Convergence (including all workshops and meals!) Sign up to offer housing here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dDYzdHlXU0NRMDJPTGRkNWlSTGJQblE6MQ

-----------------------------------

2. HEAT presents "EMERGENCE": A Benefit Party for Haiti Saturday 17th April, 6pm-midnight in 2nd Floor Price Center
Haiti Emergence Action Team (HEAT) is taking over Second Floor of Price Center with a party featuring a Fashion Show (with Fashion Quarterly and Bebe), Open Mic in The Loft, an Activism Fair, community art projects, and DVC DJ DANCES in East and West Ballroom! Come out TONIGHT - Saturday 17th April - from 6pm-midnight in Price Center (check out the Facebook event!) All proceeds from your $5 ticket goes to the Stand with Haiti program through Partners in Health.

>>Want to volunteer throughout the night?
Your help will be a key part of EMERGENCE's success. Because it is such a large scale event, we will need a number of volunteers to help with set-up and break down, as well as crowd control throughout the night. We ask that you will commit to volunteering during the time frame of 4pm (arrival and set up) to 12:30am (break down and clean up). Sign up to volunteer here and look out for a follow-up email and phone call Saturday afternoon: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFNBdTBESUVuYzZWbzFZU0M5NVhTY3c6MQ

-----------------------------------

3. Sustainable Food Project's Day of Digging Saturday 17th April, all day starting 8am at the bottom of Pepper Canyon

Come join us the first day of the UCSD Urban Farm! We will be pulling up the weeds and old brush of the Pepper Canyon plot as we prepare the area for beginning of cultivation and agricultural education at UCSD. Please bring yourself and friends along with closed-toe shoes, gloves, water, a snack, and if possible tools such as shovels, rakes, picks, trowels, and wheelbarrows.

-----------------------------------

4. Earth Week at UCSD 19th-23rd April
UCSD's E.A.R.T.H. (Environment, Awareness, Responsibility, Teaching, Healing) Partnerships for Action presents Earth Week from 19th-23rd April on campus. Check out the website for information on the many events going on throughout the week, including the E-waste Collection on Rupertus Way Tues 20th April from 7am-2pm, the screening of "Tapped" at 6pm on Wed 21st April in PC Theatre, and Muirstock on Friday 23rd April from 3-11pm on Muir Quad.

-----------------------------------

5. Cycling for Commuters Workshop Series
Free organic, local food, cycling knowledge, and great company!
Fri
 23rd
 April, 3pm in the Sustainability Resource Center (next to PC Theater)
    How to find your perfect bike

Wed
28th
 April, 2pm in the Sustainability Resource Center (next to PC Theater)
    Urban cycling:
        how to lock your bike properly
        how to use the bus bike racks
        how to ride safely with traffic
        how to be visible at night
        and more!

Fri
7th
 May in Revelle Plaza
    Don't know how to ride a bike? Learn how!
    Already a skilled cyclist? Come pass on your know-how!
-----------------------------------

6. Neighborhood Community Garden
>>Check out the FILM SERIES hosted by the Neighborhood Community Garden on Thursdays through April and May at the Ché Café! You can view the film list and event dates on their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app_2344061033&gid=95346640485). They are featuring "Fresh", "The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil", "Bulls**t" and "King Corn."

Want a plot at the Neighborhood Garden to grow your own food?

Behind the Che Cafe is a UCSD garden/farm that is growing and offer to sell their plots for reasonable student prices. Come out every sunday, behind the Che Cafe from 10am-12pm

e-mail: ncga...@gmail.com

website: http://s197443059.onlinehome.us/garden/

-----------------------------------

7. Human Rights Month
The Month of MAY is UCSD's Human Rights Month!
The SSC is coordinating effort from various groups to plan this month!
If you want to help, simply email your name/phone to: ris...@gmail.com and thien...@gmail.com

Our meetings are WED 130-300pm and THURS 400-500pm
-----------------------------------

8. Student Worker Collective

AFSCME Local 3299 is the union that represents the 20,000 workers throughout the University of California. This union represents workers from every UC facility in the State, including 10 campuses, 5 medical centers, agricultural and marine research stations. They are part of a larger union known as AFSCME, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

As students, our tuition and other fees continue to rise annually. Even with this increase in fees, the workers still experience low wages and terrible conditions as working people. Where does both the money that we as students pay, and the money that the workers deserve go? In response to the workers struggle for better wages and conditions, organizers from Kamalayan Kollective and M.E.C.h.A formed the Student Worker Collective.

>>SWC rounds are every Monday @ 12pm (meet at the Cross Cultural Center) and Wednesdays @ 9am (meet in front of Rubios).

-----------------------------------

9. Recycling Drive at the Cross for AB540 Students
AB540 students do not qualify for any form of financial aid; they pay into the system but receive nothing back. help them stay in school!
Recycling drive for AB-540 students @ the Cross Cultural Center --> deposit your bottles and cans anytime!
-----------------------------------

10. Engineers Without Borders
Interested in working on a water system in Oaxaca, Mexico that will provide potable water for the Oaxacan communities? Get involved with Engineers without Borders in UCSD! Join our project group and make a difference in the world. All majors are encouraged and welcomed. Contact ewb....@gmail.com for more information!

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

-The Student Sustainability Collective
at the Sustainability Resource Center
University of California, San Diego
ssc...@gmail.com