Newsletter: It's Human Rights Month!//SSC Move-In//Student Worker Collective AND MORE

SSC UCSD

May 10, 2010, 4:25:12 AM5/10/10
to getinvolvedsus...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thank you to everyone who came to the CSSC 8th Annual Convergence at UCSD! It was a great opportunity to build community and network with people from all over California, sharing the work we have done to make our world cleaner and kinder and helping each other gain the tools we need to do it all better! You can view photos from the weekend-long event on our Facebook fan page. We've also included at the end of this newsletter a wrap-up of the Convergence!
And please check out our website for the latest: http://studentsustainability.ucsd.edu/

IN THIS WEEK'S NEWSLETTER:
1. Human Rights Month - 60+ events throughout May!
2. SSC Moves Into the SRC!
3. Student Worker Collective - weekly rounds and upcoming potluck
4. San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) - Mid-Coast Corridor Transit Project
5. Sustainable Food Project's Urban Farm
6. Recycling at the Cross for
AB540 students
7. Neighborhood Community Garden
8. The Green Initiatives Fund (TGIF) - Spring Allocations
>>Convergence Wrap-Up by Jared A. Muscat (SSC Food Director/CSSC Convergence Coordinator)

1. Human Rights Month 60+ events throughout May!
The SSC has compiled many of the events that various campus departments, student groups, and government programs are organizing into a single calendar of social and environmental justice-themed events held throughout the month of May. Some of the events include:
Mon. 10 May: Pilipin@ Awareness Week Kick-Off Nooner (PC Plaza / 12-2pm)
Thurs. 13 May: “The Politics of 21st Century Apartheid” by ANGELA DAVIS (MSA / PC West Ballroom AB 4:00pm)
Mon. 17 May: Future of Iranian Democracy Activism PANEL (Students for Civil Rights in Iran / PC West ERC Rm 7-9:30pm)
Wed. 19 May: INVISIBLE CHILDREN Film Screening (Schools for Schools / 6-8pm – PC West ERC Room)

>>SSC joins AS External Office, African American Studies Minor, Chican@/Latin@ Arts & Humanties Minor, Community Law Project, the Cross-Cultural Center and more in sponsoring Justice in Palestine Week, all of Week 7.

-----------------------------------

3.

Student Sustainability Collective Moves Into the Sustainability Resource Center!

WHERE: SRC next to Price Center Theater
WHEN: Monday 17 May 2010
TIME: 4 p.m.-7 p.m.
The Sustainability Resource Center opened in November 2009, and the SSC would now like to invite you to our MOVE IN event! We will host an inclusive info session about the SRC and SSC history, with talks from the co-founders, a slideshow of pictures and stories from the sustainability events, projects, and campaigns of the past couple years.
Please join us and the other sustainability organizations of the campus, as we settle into the Sustainability Resource Center, where social, environmental, and economical justice are the talk of the day.
-----------------------------------

3.

Student Worker Collective rounds and upcoming unity potluck
As students, our tuition and other fees continue to rise annually. Even with this increase in fees, the workers still experience low wages and terrible conditions as working people. Where does both the money that we as students pay, and the money that the workers deserve go? In response to the workers struggle for better wages and conditions, organizers from Kamalayan Kollective and M.E.C.h.A formed the Student Worker Collective.

>>SWC rounds are every Monday @ 12pm (meet at the Cross Cultural Center) and Wednesdays @ 9am (meet in front of Rubios).
>>SWC Potluck: Wednesday 19 May in the Cross Cultural Center Library from 7-9pm! Join us as we build a united, conscious community of UCSD workers and students.

-----------------------------------

4.

SANDAG Mid-Coast Corridor Transit Project

The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is now accepting comments from the public on route alternatives, the project purpose and need, and issues to be studied in the project’s environmental document.

SANDAG will hold five “open house” meetings during the coming month for the public to learn more about the project and submit comments. Comments received will be taken into account as SANDAG decides which route alternative(s) to carry forward into environmental review.

Two meetings will be held in University City:
>>Tuesday, May 11, 3 to 6 p.m.
University of California, San Diego (UCSD) - Price Center East Ballroom
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093

>>Wednesday, May 12, 4 to 7 p.m.
Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center - Garfield Theatre
4126 Executive Drive, La Jolla, CA, 92037

-----------------------------------

5. Sustainable Food Project's Urban Farm

The Sustainable Food Project broke the ground of the Urban Farm last month on April 17! The farm is located
in Pepper Canyon behind the Visual Arts building. Keep up with the progress of the farm and look out for VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES on the farming page:
website: http://www.sustainablefooducsd.org/
-----------------------------------

6.

Recycling Drive at the Cross for AB540 Students

AB540 students do not qualify for any form of financial aid; they pay into the system but receive nothing back. Help them stay in school!
Recycling drive for AB-540 students @ the Cross Cultural Center - deposit your bottles and cans anytime!

-----------------------------------

7. Neighborhood Community Garden
>>Check out the FILM SERIES hosted by the Neighborhood Community Garden at the Ché Café! You can view the film list and event dates on their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app_2344061033&gid=95346640485). "King Corn" will be screened Thursday 13 May (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=108612162504273&index=1).

 Want a plot at the Neighborhood Garden to grow your own food?

Behind the Che Cafe is a UCSD garden/farm that is growing and offer to sell their plots for reasonable student prices. Come out every sunday, behind the Che Cafe from 10am-12pm

e-mail: ncga...@gmail.com

website: http://s197443059.onlinehome.us/garden/

-----------------------------------

8. The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) Spring Allocations
TGIF provides funding for projects that reduce UC San Diego’s negative impact on the environment and to make UC San Diego more sustainable in both the social and environmental sense. The goal is to enable and empower students to take an active role in making UC San Diego a leader in sustainability, providing much needed funding for projects that complete this goal.
View the allocations made by TGIF for Spring Quarter below.

Roosevelt Institute
$400.00
Co-op house
$586.21
IDEA
$690.00
USGBC LEED
$1,000.00
Urban Farm
$2,600.00
Car Sharing Program
$3,250.00
Native Plant Garden
$6,069.59
Water Meter
$6,785.00
NCG
$7,756.80
Earl's Garden
$14,152.00
Total Allocation
$43,639.60
Total money allocated all year
$71,138.05
Roll over to Funding Cycle I FALL 10
$8,928.18

-----------------------------------
>>CONVERGENCE WRAP-UP by Jared A. Muscat (SSC Food Director/CSSC Convergence Coordinator)
The beauty of the weekend began on Friday evening as students began to arrive at UCSD, finding their way through the bonding time known as LA traffic for an incredible dinner inside of the Food Co-op conisting of curried black eyed peas over rice and a fresh salad, all of which was local and organic.  Voicings of "Hot darn!" "Wow this is delicious!" and "My mouth is on fire!" were the norm, and were only quieted by an incredible game of hacky sack and some beautiful Open Mic at the G-Store Co-op fun.  Of course, it was not to go without a hitch and everyone was pulled of a glorious round of musical sleeping spaces, with everyone winning.

Before anyone had the chance to cherish the evening breakfast began bright and early with a very happy breakfast buffet.  After which the Student Sustainability Collective at UCSD, the local team of volunteers,the CSSC Operating Team, and the Board of Directors introduced themselves sharing with the crowd their reason and rhyme.  I spoked a few words as well on the grand history of student activism and the fortunate opportunity we have to bring change to our state and the world, our chance to sit in and teach by passion, word, and deed.  Afterwards we all split into the many different categories within sustainability to share thoughts and plans, but more importantly share contact information and research suggestions with the Networking Notebooks made out of 100% recycled materials by the hands of the Student Sustainability Collective at UCSD.  One student ran to me during dinner and showed me her notebook, explaining that it was full thanks to a day of great discussion with the other attendees and the incredible workshops and speakers.  She then handed me the notebook and sure enough, the thing didn't have a spot left for writing, she had even scribbled out the old manila folder.  After the networking time everyone gathered into Center Hall to connect with Ricky Ott on the injustices of corporations, learn from Dina Cervantes about efficient group organization, and discuss how to fix Fair Trade policy with Prof. April Linton.  Again there was a food treat not to be unnoticed, a wrap buffet held quite a line for a long time, stocked full of freshly picked vegetables and fruits and tortilla wraps of all varieties.

By lunch it was quite obvious that bonds had been made abound and new gatherings of students spotted around Library Walk in the warm afternoon sun relaxing before the marathon fun of workshops, the fruit of all convergences.  And this convergence's workshops were not to disappoint.  With some workshops indoors and some workshops outdoors, all workshops brought for discussion and education, all in different variates and pertaining to different parts of the social and environmental effort.  From the fermentation of pickles and the operation of a proper home compost system to bringing a co-op to your campus and running and ESLP the workshops grabbed everyone's creative energy and brought the Convergence to another level of effort and passion.  The Multi-Purpose Room lit up for dinner as everyone gathered in for the feast of the day (and the magic dessert too) as well as a concert from The Skavolutionary Orchestra.  At dinner everyone did a good job of embarassing one another as I got everyone to clap for Alexandra Villega's efforts in the kitchen as well as Rachel Grey's outrageous berry turnover, not to mention the cornering of the volunteers.  Ryan and Pam did well to get me and round out the effort before a spot of commercials from the attendees helped broadcast messages to all of the Convergence, capturing the true spirit of the CSSC, a network of California's college students, coming together to share information for change.  After the beautiful applause and shows of gratitude The Skavolutionary Orchestra took stage and got everybody to cut the rug as the sung songs that echoed the students's voices and jived the way only ska music can.  It was a spectacular end to a spectacular Saturday.

On Sunday morning everyone woke up a bit slow and tired from the day that was Saturday but as soon as they smelt another breakfast buffet delight they found their engines and made way to the Multi Purpose Room before a final workshop, group talk, and spiral hug.  The final round of workshops was as beautiful as the first, with some new art and continued discussion of leadership opportunities within the CSSC.  After the workshops everyone gathered for one last time to for a group talk led by Pam and Ryan, a talk which gave everyone a voice, something Ryan had explained to be CSSC's intention with this Convergence.  As the talking stick was passed around there were laughs and snaps, even tears, but above all there was sustainability, there was the continuation of a discussion that started on a Friday evening into Sunday afternoon.  Furthermore, it was not a closure, it was one more topic to talk about before saying good bye for a little while, the information and the plans were in place, everyone was ready to talk again, we just needed to say some things about the weekend to think about over the car ride.

I want to personally thank everyone who worked for this Convergence and everyone who came to this Convergence, a Convergence is simply not going to be educational, fun, and worth the travel if one of the two teams doesn't rock...and both rocked!

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

-The Student Sustainability Collective
at the Sustainability Resource Center
University of California, San Diego
ssc...@gmail.com