Student Sustainability Collective Newsletter - Get Involved!

SSC UCSD

Feb 6, 2010, 3:41:12 AM2/6/10
to getinvolvedsus...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
Congratulations on making it to the weekend! We know it's been a rough couple of weeks academically, so we want to get you linked in with the exciting and interesting sustainability opportunities on campus. Check out what we've got going on:

1. SSC Director Position Available
2. TGIF Application deadline
3. Quarterly Bike Breakfast
4. Wilderness and Human Values offered this Spring Quarter!
5. Transition Town Workgroup
6. CSSC 8th Annual Spring Convergence
7. The Sustainable Food Project

------------------

1. SSC Director Position Available Apply by Friday, February 19th

Do you want to impact environmental and social justice efforts on campus? Are you eager to apply your extensive knowledge about sustainability? Become a Student Sustainability Collective Director! For an application, visit sscucsd.com or email eel...@ucsd.edu.

Application due by February 19th to eel...@ucsd.edu.

2. TGIF Application deadline is March 12th
The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) provides funding for projects that reduce UC San Diego’s negative impact on the environment and to make UC San Diego more sustainable in both the social and environmental sense. Check out greenfund.ucsd.edu for more information.

3. Quarterly Bike Breakfast
Next week on Thursday Feb 4th Transportation Services hosts a quarterly Bike Breakfast at the Gilman Campus Entry next to the Gilman Information Booth, on the lawn near Osler, from 7am-10am. Come by on your bike and grab some breakfast snacks, free bike safety info and accessories and coupon for $20 off a helmet at the UCSD bike shop—all while supplies last! Pedal Club members and all UC San Diego commuters on bicycles are welcome. If you have any questions email us at commutes...@ucsd.edu or call (858) 534-7433 anytime Mon-Fri 7am-5:00pm.

4. Wilderness and Human Values offered this Spring Quarter!
The schedule of classes is up and an awesome new class is being offered next quarter!  ENVR 141, Wilderness and Human Values is a brand new course for students looking to explore the ideas of wilderness, the outdoors, nature and the environment.  There are no pre-requesites, and the course offers opportunities to camp and backpack during and after the quarter!  Get credit for thinking about and exploring the outdoors?  It doesn't get any cooler than that!

5. Transition Town Workgroup
Are you worried about peak oil? Come to the Sustainability Resource Center every Friday at 10 am to help form a Transition Town within our UCSD community.

6. CSSC 8th Annual Spring Convergence to be held April 30th, May 1st-2nd
Do you like weekends of Sustainable fun?  Do you like fresh, local, organic, food?  Do you like time with students from other colleges?  Then you should join in the preparation of the California Student Sustainability Coalition's 8th Annual Spring Convergence! UCSD was recently gifted the opportunity to host this weekend long event that draws students from all over California as well as outside the state, and the Student Sustainability Collective is working to put together all the nuts and bolts.  If you want to be a part of this great event please email Jared A Muscat at jareda...@gmail.com.

The Sustainable Food Project has just created a new website at www.sustainablefooducsd.org.  Check out the site for updates.  We has been working hard through the year to raise the necessary funds for an Urban Farm at UCSD, and we are getting closer and closer.  However, we want some more friends so we can get farming sooner! Come to our meetings every Wednesday at 3:00 pm in the Sustainability Resource Center!

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

-The Student Sustainability Collective
at the Sustainability Resource Center
University of California, San Diego
ssc...@gmail.com