New to Gauge

Karen Barton

Sep 15, 2020, 8:03:16 PM9/15/20
to getgauge
I'm extremely new to Gauge, I have no coding experience at all, (other than reading code).

I am wanting to start down the track of user automation acceptance testing, and think that Gauge will be ideal.
I have installed Gauge v1.1.1, refer to the attached for versions.

I understand that Gauge runs the test cases and taiko can be used to generate the scripts.
But, am I correct is saying that Gauge can be used to write the specifications (using vs code)?
if so, is there additional documentation/examples around writing the specs (for example, logging into a website and what the syntax/language ie using click instead of select) and it automatically creating the js file?
or, do I have to use taiko, save the code to a js file and that will then convert to usable steps in Gauge?

It feels like I am not understanding how Gauge is intended to be used.
GaugeVersion.png

Srikanth V

Sep 15, 2020, 11:20:05 PM9/15/20
to getgauge
Hi!

Welcome to Gauge.

I would recommend that you make use of this talk that my colleague Scott has put together, it covers some (all?) of your queries: https://thirstyhead.com/introducing-gauge/

For examples, you may refer to https://getgauge-examples.github.io/ for some samples.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask more if you need to.

Good luck!!
Srikanth

Karen Barton

Sep 17, 2020, 12:48:21 AM9/17/20
to getg...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for that information. I did see the youtube video from Scott.

When I start writing my specs, it requires me to select either a 'create step implementation' or 'create concept'.
I have to manually create a new js file under 'tests' in the explorer (choosing 'create step implementation dosen't allow me to create a js file), then I choose 'Create step implementation'
when I do this I get the below.
step("goto google.com"async function() {
    throw 'Unimplemented Step';
});

What does throw 'Unimplemented Step' mean?
When I run the spec/scenario, it fails, because of the 'unimplemented step'

My understanding was, I didn't need to know javascript as gauge will "convert" it all for me.

Is this the intended behaviour?

Karen

Dhananjaya Deevi

Sep 17, 2020, 4:07:02 AM9/17/20
to getg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Srikant,
Thanks for sharing the links. Even Im new to Taiko + Gauge and will go through the links.

Regards,
DD

Regards,
DD
(Deevi Dhananjey)
Quality Assurance - Wilco Source Technologies Pvt ltd

Srikanth V

Sep 17, 2020, 11:06:23 PM9/17/20
to getgauge
> My understanding was, I didn't need to know javascript as gauge will "convert" it all for me.

No, that's not how Gauge works. It requires users to write some code (there is some choice, i.e. which language the code can be written in), but it still needs code.

If you got that impression from Gauge's documentation/website, please let us know how we can improve.

Srikanth.

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 5:33:16 AM UTC+5:30 wrote:
I'm extremely new to Gauge, I have no coding experience at all, (other than reading code).

I am wanting to start down the track of user automation acceptance testing, and think that Gauge will be ideal.
I have installed Gauge v1.1.1, refer to the attached for versions.

I understand that Gauge runs the test cases and taiko can be used to generate the scripts.
But, am I correct is saying that Gauge can be used to write the specifications (using vs code)?
if so, is there additional documentation/examples around writing the specs (for example, logging into a website and what the syntax/language ie using click instead of select) and it automatically creating the js file?
or, do I have to use taiko, save the code to a js file and that will then convert to usable steps in Gauge?

It feels like I am not understanding how Gauge is intended to be used.

Karen Barton

Sep 22, 2020, 12:00:37 AM9/22/20
to getg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Srikanth

Thank you for the clarification.  On the gauge website I would probably suggest stating that some coding is required in conjunction with xxx (xx being taiko and whatever other tools), other than saying all you need is natural language to write specs.

From what I can see, it will be easier to start in Taiko, then "convert" to steps for gauge.

I'll continue investigating other tools.

Thank you for your help.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "getgauge" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/getgauge/28f48e34-8914-4706-aec6-af5efb9d296en%40googlegroups.com.

Zabil C M

Sep 22, 2020, 4:57:39 AM9/22/20
to getg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the feedback, We do have an overview on our documentation page.

https://docs.gauge.org/overview.html

Cheers.