grpcio issues when installing getgauge

munki...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2020, 10:43:40 PM10/31/20
to getgauge
I'm having an odd issue...

I installed the latest python, 3.9.0
I installed Gauge 1.1.4 using the installer from gauge.org's Getting Started page

When I install the Gauge VS.Code extension, I'm only getting Run Scenario/Spec links, not Run and Debug, and I'm getting a message that the gauge server keeps crashing.

I upgraded VS.Code:

Version: 1.50.1 (system setup)
Commit: d2e414d9e4239a252d1ab117bd7067f125afd80a
Date: 2020-10-13T15:06:15.712Z
Electron: 9.2.1
Chrome: 83.0.4103.122
Node.js: 12.14.1
V8: 8.3.110.13-electron.0
OS: Windows_NT x64 10.0.19041

Thinking perhaps it was just an issue with missing dependencies, I tried running the requirements file to pull down the latest getgauge.  When I try to do that, however, I get errors when it tries to pull the grpcio dependency, saying it can't find setup.py in one of the pip temp directories.

Has anyone else hit this?   We were looking to upgrade at work from python 3.7.3 and gauge 1.0.5, so I was noodling a bit this weekend to see if I could do a clean install; it's not going well.

Thoughts?

-Tom

Dhananjaya Deevi

Nov 1, 2020, 4:51:34 AM11/1/20
to getg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,
Have you installed the Gauge from both the VS code and from the installer? . If so, remove both and install only the extension from the VS Code.

Regards,
DD

Regards,
DD
(Deevi Dhananjey)
Quality Assurance - Wilco Source Technologies Pvt ltd

"Notice of Confidentiality: This transmission contains information that may be confidential. It has been prepared for the sole and exclusive use of the intended recipient and on the basis agreed with that person. If you are not the intended recipient of the message (or authorized to receive it for the intended recipient), you should notify us immediately; you should delete it from your system and may not disclose its contents to anyone else. "

munki...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2020, 8:22:20 AM11/1/20
to getgauge

Hi Deevi,

That doesn't work.  If you uninstall both, then when you try to install the extension, it points out that the gauge executable is missing, and directs you to the gauge.org site to get the installer.

Last night, I rolled back to python 3.7.3 and used chocolatey to install gauge 1.0.5, that worked.
So this morning, I went forward to 3.7.9 and used chocolatey to install gauge, interestingly it installed 1.1.1, which still has LSP issues and only shows Run scenario/spec links in the files.

I see both grpcio and Gauge pushed new versions recently, I suspect there may be issues.  I may open an issue on the git repo.

Dhananjaya Deevi

Nov 1, 2020, 9:11:07 AM11/1/20
to getg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,
That's interesting. Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
DD

Tom Kies II

Nov 1, 2020, 10:33:29 AM11/1/20
to getg...@googlegroups.com
I gave up and put python 3.7.3/gauge 1.0.5 on my machine so I can move forward for now.

But, for others who may tread this path, I found this:  My chip might have been partly to blame (AMD rather than Intel) as well as the newness of 3.7.9.  Others have run into grpcio issues in other areas:

https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/24539

Have a good rest of the weekend!