[Gfs-users] Doubt on Equilibrium of a droplet suspended in an electric field (Different densities and simulation)

Mobin Malik

Feb 22, 2019, 6:26:13 AM2/22/19
to gfs-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear Gerris users,

I am trying to replicate the axisymmetric Gerris Test case "Equilibrium of a droplet suspended in an electric field".
Case: http://gfs.sourceforge.net/tests/tests/electro.html
Publication:  http://gfs.sourceforge.net/tests/tests/electro.html

I am new to Gerris and have read other posts related to this topic.

1 - I would like to know how do I include "dimensionless density" of two different fluids, for instance, castor oil (958kg/m**3) and silicone oil (1023 kg/m**3) in the equation.

2- I am trying to create a simulation .ppm or .gfs (gfsview) to visualise the droplet deformation.
  • I edited the reference case and ran using gerris2D electroDD.gfs but received an error message.
    gerris: file 'electroDD.gfs' is not a valid simulation file
    electroDD.gfs:1:5: unknown class 'GfsElectroHydroAxi'
  • Do I need other required files for this?
  • Please find attached, my test case file.
I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Newbie Gerris User
Mobin

electroDD.gfs

Manash Pratim Borthakur

Feb 22, 2019, 6:59:11 AM2/22/19
to GFS users discussion list
Hi,
  For point 1, you can specify the density in the "alpha" value in the "PhysicalParams" section. For eg,

   These two lines in the define section -
       Define VAR(T,min,max) (min+CLAMP(T,0,1)*(max-min))
       Define RHO(T) VAR(T,RHOR,1.0)

   where, RHOR is the density ratio between the fluids and T is the VOF tracer.

  and inside the main body,

       PhysicalParams {
      alpha = 1.0/RHO(T)
       }

  For point 2, write "GModule electrohydro" in the top section.

  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manash

Mobin Malik

Feb 25, 2019, 11:31:29 AM2/25/19
to GFS users discussion list
Dear Manash,

Thank you for your reply. For the time being, I put point 1 on hold (assuming similar density ratio).

In regards to point 2, I added GModule electrohydro to initialize the Electrohydro module as you suggested:
1 0 GModule electrohydro GfsElectroHydroAxi GfsBox GfsGEdge {} {

but now I get a new error.

gerris: file `electroDD.gfs' is not a valid simulation file
electroDD.gfs:1:5: unknown class `GModule'

I tried including GfsSimulation but still did not work.
Hope to hear from you or anyone soon.

Cheers,
Mobin

Manash Pratim Borthakur

Feb 26, 2019, 1:48:30 AM2/26/19
to GFS users discussion list
Hi,
You misunderstood me. The ""GModule electrohydro" should be in a separate line above the  "1 0 GfsElectroHydroAxi GfsBox GfsGEdge {}" line, something like :

#Define ....
GModule electrohydro
1 0 GfsElectroHydroAxi GfsBox GfsGEdge {} {
}

Regards,
Manash

Mobin Malik

Feb 26, 2019, 9:54:40 AM2/26/19
to GFS users discussion list
Dear Manash,

Thank you for pointing that out.

I managed to get .mpg file for Rhoe and passive tracer T but my question is how do I get a simulation which illustrates the droplet deformation (oblate/prolate)?
Attached is my coding so far.

Hope to hear from you or anyone soon.

Cheers,
Mobin
electro.gfs

Mobin Yunus Malik

Aug 5, 2019, 1:06:33 PM8/5/19
to GFS users discussion list
Hello,

Could someone point out why did the authors use sin(theta) in electro.gfs instead of cos(theta) which is used in Equation 43 and 44 of the paper?
http://gfs.sourceforge.net/tests/tests/electro.html

Secondly, the else term has A*x**(-2)*(x**(-2)... which according to the paper should be x**(-4)-(x**(-2)...

function vtr(x)
{
   if (x < 1.)
return A*x*(1.-x**2)*(3.*sin(theta)**2-1.);
   else
return A*x**(-2)*(x**(-2)-1.)*(3.*sin(theta)**2-1.);
}

Any answer would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mobin